Hard time controling GURD w/ Barrett's

iVillage Member
Hard time controling GURD w/ Barrett's
Mon, 09-27-2010 - 10:20am

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Barrett's(sp) and a heital hernia July 2010. In May my dr put me on Nexium & it was awful. I had the scope in July and received my diagnosis. I was put on dexalaunt(sp) for four weeks and it did nothing. I was put on Prevesid (prescription strength) 1x a day. I've been on it for 5 weeks now. It seemed to help, although I have not been 100% yet. Last week I ate something that should have been fine and had bad reflux and have not been better since. I ate homemade stir fry with carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, soy sauce, chicken broth and dry ginger over noodles.

The whole Barrett's diagnosis has me freaked out. I know I would be better if I could control my symptoms, when I was starting to feel better I was much more relaxed. I have been afraid to get on the net and research because I am fearful of what I would find. I'm afraid I won't ever get it under control.

My symptoms are sore throat, chest pain, pain in upper stomach & sometimes a scratchy voice.

My dr office told me to take things like xantac, tagamat, pepsid ect to control symptoms. None seem to work so far.

I have no idea what foods are my triggers, except the items in the stirfry, but while I was feeling better I had some raw carrots and celery and was fine.

Should recovery time from a 'bad food' take over a week?

I'm not even sure what else I should ask. My dr office said wait till I feel better then try introducing other foods. but it seems some of the OK food are bad for me...? I have the head of my bed raised. I have been avoiding high fat foods and have lost 15 lbs (I did not need to lose weight, I am almost too thin now) I eat small meals often and feel hungry most of the day, especially when I don't eat for at least 3 hours before bed.

I read a book from the library that said things like dried fruit, apples can be bad too. I am afraid to eat just about anything.

I have a doctors appt in mid October. This is the first I will see the doctor after my scope in July. I only talk to the nurse. Should I seek out another doctor. I think my condition deserves more attention than a few fliers and a chat or two with a nurse, am I over reacting?

Any advice Thanks for reading my ramblings....
Beth

Edited 9/27/2010 10:37 am ET by bethro00
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-30-2010 - 1:43pm

Hi and welcome! I am sorry you are having such a hard time controlling your symptoms. The symptoms are from the GERD, not from the Barretts itself.

I share your concern about your doctor's inattention. Many doctors have "gatekeepers" to keep them from having to deal with minor concerns, but it seems to me that your doctor's nurse is being a bit too zealous. I would not change doctors at this point, but you definitely need to express your feelings to your doctor when you have your appointment. I would express concern to the nurse, too, and see if you can break her down so she will let you speak directly with the doctor.

I don't have much advice for you on diet that you have probably not already heard. Avoid high acid foods, fatty and fried foods, chocolate, peppermint, coffee (even dedaf) and alcohol. Eat small amounts frequently. Sit upright while eating and stay upright for 2 or 3 hours afterward. Avoid tight clothing or any activity

Photobucket