Endometrial Ablation

iVillage Member
Endometrial Ablation
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 5:03pm

Hi Ladies,

Has anyone had this done or know anyone who has? I had my GYN annual visit this morning and I mentioned to him that my last period was 11 days long. The first two days were normal then it slowed to spotting. He did an U/S to check if there were any cysts, etc. that could have been causing this and everything was normal.

He mentioned if this is bothersome I could have an ablation. It isn't really bad since most of the days are only light spotting. I can't go on b.c. pills b/c I have a clotting disorder that I discovered after recurrent m/c's (another story).

There are a couple ladies in my Bunco group that have had this procedure done and they said they wouldn't recommend it. I didn't pay attention at the time b/c I didn't think this would be an issue for me. I wanted to ask all of you your thoughts and I'll ask my Bunco buddies next time I see them.

Thanks for any advice!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 5:30pm

Hi there!

I don't have any personal experience with ablations.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 9:12am

Hello there!
Kristin is right (HI KRISTIN!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 1:07pm

Thank you for your replies ladies. Vida, I don't mind sharing about my m/c's. I got pregnant w/ our first child pretty quickly and all went well w/ him. I then went on to have 3 losses and found out I had Cardiolipin Antibodies that caused my blood to clot which caused the m/c's. My next pregnancy I went on heparin and low dose aspirin and he was born healthy. The pregnancy after that I did the same regimen and he was born healthy. We were done after our 3rd child but I got pregnant unexpectantly and even though I went on the heparin and aspirin when I found out, I still miscarried. All of the losses were so hard but I feel very blessed that I have my 3 little guys.

My GYN didn't necessarily recommend the ablation, he just mentioned it as an option for me to keep in mind. But, things have gone haywire again. Like I said, I had an u/s yesterday at my check up after my pap smear. He mentioned when he did the ps that he noticed I was bleeding. I started cramping yesterday after my appt. and I have now started my period again! So I basically bled for 11 days had 5 days of no bleeding and now have started my period again. I don't know what is going on w/ my body. I'm grateful I don't have the heavy bleeding but to be bleeding for this many days is frustrating.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 1:32pm
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 4:05pm
Vida definitely covered it (Hi Vida!).

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 10:59am

My boys are 11, 7 and 4. I'm 42 and my Dr. did say this could be related to hormones "due to my maturity" LOL. My periods have seemed to go long for about 6 mo. but this last one was the first I kept track so I don't know if the others were this extreme or not. I'm keeping track of this one I'm currently having too!

Vida, I forgot to ask in my last post how your ablation was as far as recovery, side affects, etc.? My sister's friend said it was great and she wished she would have done it years ago and then my Bunco friend said something about regretting doing it (not sure why yet). I don't think this is something I need to consider yet (unless I get anemic and it affects the way I feel) but I'm just trying to find out about it just in case. I'm going on 3 days of cramping this time which is unusual for me :-(

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 1:31pm

Hi again...
I'm 42 as well, will be 43 in Jan.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 12:48am

Hi again Vida,

Oooops, I made a typo I'm actually 43 (as of last Saturday). I guess I still had 42 on my brain.

Are you still having your period? From the research I've done on ablations, most of the time periods stop but not all the time?

According to how my recent periods have been I should be only having spotting now but it's still a bit heavier than that. No more cramping though.

I guess I should investigate perimenopause too since I really don't know anything about it. I haven't had any hot flashes and my periods are still the same as they've been for years except that they are lasting so much longer now (in addition to the really short cycle this go around).

I'm going to call my GYN next week and tell him what happened w/ starting again so soon and see what he says. I imagine I'll also see how the next few months go w/ my periods.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 10:38am