Diagnosed w/ Hyperactive Thyroid, SCARED

iVillage Member
Diagnosed w/ Hyperactive Thyroid, SCARED
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 11:10pm

I was at the gyno because I haven't been getting my period much

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 7:30pm

I've had hyperthyroid off and on for something like 9 yrs now. It is something that can get worse as time goes on if left untreated. How are your levels now? Could your GYN give you some meds in the meantime? Perhaps when you go to the VA they can give you some until you see an endo.? It doesn't sound like you feel too, too horrible right now so perhaps your levels aren't horribly elevated. I wouldn't stress over it regardless. Really.

I will say that recently I came across a book that says perhaps this condition is caused by an iodine deficiency. Iodine Why You Need It by Dr David Brownstein MD. I am taking extra iodine currently to see if it helps. My endo doesn't know yet but he will when I see him in a couple of weeks. He may not like it. Too bad. The typical treatments for hyperthyroid STINK IMO.

Anyway, other than that, I'm not aware of any foods to eat or avoid. I had one endo tell me to avoid iodine sources but it's been since then that I've read the book noted above.

If your resting pulse rate gets too high, you might want to watch exercising. Perhaps even cease. If your rate is up and you exercise, it can be rough on your heart.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 10:05pm

Hi anwar2003,

Welcome to our board.

I'm another one that has been hyperthyroid for years....basically at least 20 years.

Calley7