Sleeplessness

iVillage Member
Sleeplessness
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 5:47am
I should clear something up regarding sleeplessness. I don't have a problem falling asleep.

iVillage Member
In reply to: lxsgp
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 7:39am

I can have problems falling asleep on occasion, however my biggest problem seems to be waking up anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes or as long as 1 to 2 hours after getting to sleep. That's when I'll wake and not be able to get back to sleep.

By the way, I haven't ever had a problem staying awake driving or doing anything where I need to stay awake. (I'm knocking on wood... LOL) Anyway, I'm very thankful for that...

Marty

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 10:08am
I'm with Marty on this one.

Powered by CGISpy.com
Mom to furangel, Chelse
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 4:17pm

Up until recently, my insomnia was just as the rest of you describe: waking in the night and then having trouble getting back to sleep. Like clock work, I seem to wake around 1 or 2 am and then can be up for an hour or two, simply sleepless.

This summer my insomnia rose to an indicious level. It was well beyond waking up and not being able to get back to sleep.There were many nights I didn't get any sleep at all. I tried altering my diet, taking melatonin, avoiding caffeine and a gabillion other natural, logical ways to provoke or promote more sleep. Nothing worked. I really didn't want to rely on medication, although on occasion I took Tylenol PM and it sometimes helped. If nothing else worked, my neurologist was going to add a prescription sleep aid to my already growing number of daily pills I pop. I did not want to go that route.

Then, in a last ditch effort, I decided to try the same method that helped me conquer my fear of flying: self-relaxation/ self-hypnosis. As I've mentioned in other threads here on this board, it's really worked wonders. What I like best is that for the first time in a long time I've noticed that when I wake in the middle of the night for whatever reason, I find I'm able to get back to sleep rather quickly

I've been listening to this CD each night as I go to sleep:

Stay Asleep, Fall Asleep

I have to get past the fact that the guys sounds like a really boring science teacher droning on and on... but it works (perhaps that is why it works, lol). And no extra drugs required! Lord knows, we all take enough already.

Plus, I don't have any caffeine after 2pm in the afternoon.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 8:56am

well lets jus t add one more thing to my list that i am not doing and that is sleeping i get if iam lucky 2 hours