Parkinsons Music Video

iVillage Member
Parkinsons Music Video
Mon, 09-27-2010 - 10:41am

I just finished directing a music video for a friend of mine with Parkinson's Disease. He was diagnosed 10 years ago, and wrote this seven years ago. A few years ago he had DBS surgery. There is a clip in the video of him prior to his Parkinson's diagnosis, followed by one before his DBS. The opening shot is of him sleeping. He was waking up with bruises, and so ran a video camera all night to see if he could see anything. He never woke up after flying out of the bed.

He was featured in a documentary produced by the County of Henrico (Virginia) called Battle with Parkinsons, which just won an emmy.

We tried to make the music video entertaining, while still confronting the harsh reality of PD. If you enjoy it, let us know by leaving a comment and favoriting the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlxcZ_CHDVo

He does see me Darby. He sees me as a rabbit!
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-28-2010 - 7:16am

What an original way to show people a side of Parkinson's. I especially liked the parts in the video where he scratched the lotto ticket and it spelled our Parkinson's and when he rolled the PD dice. And what a great way to express life as a person with Parkinson's by using his music. I hope his DBS has been a success. Congrats on the video and thanks for sharing.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-28-2010 - 11:58am

Glad you enjoyed it. Putting it together, we weren't really sure what ideas would hit or miss with our viewers. As it turns out, everyone seems to get something different out of it, which is what we were hoping for.

The games of chance were an interesting way to illustrate the randomness of being hit with Parkinson's. "It isn't fair, but then nothing it know is. It's just the luck of the draw, I guess I drew the short straw". The toughest part for me conceptually was to figure out what to do with the line about waiting for "ganglia" to show up again on the scene to transmit dopamine, so I decided to make it literal... him waiting for ganglia to get off a train or bus. Shooting that was a bit of a challenge, as that was not a real bus stop, and a bus never went down that street. Oh the wonders of special effects!

"He does see me Darby. He sees me as a rabbit!" - King Brian Conners
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-28-2010 - 12:52pm
Great special effects!! And I thought that the literal interpretation of Ganglia was a great concept, too!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-28-2010 - 2:46pm

I agree with Lauren Sue! Great video! I watched it yesterday however my wife works from home and my computer is in her office so I wasn't able to turn the volume up much... I liked it but wanted to wait to reply until after

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-28-2010 - 3:27pm

Colin and I will be going to the Young Onset conference in October down in Atlanta. If any of you are going, you can talk to him yourself about the video.

-Arthur

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-06-2010 - 11:05pm

We're approaching 1000 views on our music video. Help spread the word!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-07-2010 - 10:39am
darbyandbrian wrote:

We're approaching 1000 views on our music video. Help spread the word!

Photobucket