Anxiety that comes and goes???

iVillage Member
Anxiety that comes and goes???
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 2:02am

There have been a lot of problems in my life since last November, almost too many.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 12:42pm

LOL, I had something like that at one time, it was every other Sunday. I was insisting to the doctors it was an allergic reaction to my medication and/or my hormones or something weird. I think lasted about 6 months to live it's life (every month getting slightly better than the month before). Then a couple of years later I've started to wonder if it was not allergies, but simply anxiety. Now I'm so embarrassed!!!

Oh well, I still will not risk taking Zoloft or birth control pills - maybe one of them created the strange anxiety if it was not an allergy?

Maybe part of this strange cycle of anxiety is related to trying medications that interfered with your current and your body has not totally adjusted. I read in a book recently (not that it is accurate) but it claimed even taking 2 weeks of antibiotics can alter your body for about a year or two (I read this while taking 4 weeks of antibiotics - GREAT).

---

But you have a cycle, which could be a good thing, as you can prepare for it.

Start to drink chamomile tea the day before (3x a day) and through the next 3-4 days.

Exercise!! It is a natural anti-depressant. It releases all sorts of chemicals into your brain and when these are all present together will lift your mood. I've read one place it can last up to 24 hours. One study in the UK even believes it releases an amphetamine-like chemical.

My personal favorite is to use oats to increase my mood. When my anxieties are really high I use an oat tincture (extract). When I first learned about this tincture I read it is recommended by German doctors to help their patients to quit smoking & heroine use. It's non-addictive & as long as you stay w/in the recommended doses it has no side effects. It's simply the milk of oats in the green stage. Go to a local health food place that sells tincture and ask for help. It's sold under different names depending on the company manufacturing it. The Latin name for oats is Avena Sativa, so that will be on the bottle, otherwise it will be sold as 'Wild Oats', 'Oat Seed', 'Oat Straw' or some other Oat thing.

I believe inflammation also plays a part of anxiety. So for those three days you could try to avoid foods that produce inflammation and/or increase foods that reduce inflammation and see if that makes a difference. Just run a search on food & inflammation and you'll get lots of lists (basically avoid sugar & high starches).

i.e.

Instead of trying to fight off the anxiety, try to find how to work with it. Acceptance is probably the best ammo for this. So you 'faking' it has been helping, because you're accepting it's there.

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 1:52pm
My anxiety is cyclical in nature. It used to be dictated by my hormones. Not so much anymore. If you are pre-menopausal or actually in menopause, you might consider soy products. You do seem to be using all the right methods. I'm sorry that they aren't as effective as you'd like them to be.
I think Bonnie is on the right track. Dietary changes are very important. A well balanced diet is essential. Sugars may be bothering you. There are all kinds & have many names on food labels. Ppl react to sugar more than they realize. It causes too many variations in blood sugar & that can trigger anxiety. It's better to keep the blood sugar @ a sustained level. Processed foods have a lot of additives that you may be sensitive to. Luncheon meat is one that comes to mind. Nicotine, caffeine(watch out for chocolate) & some meds can cause anxiety. Most studies have found that anxious folks are on the dehydrated side. Try drinking more fluids. Exercise is very important. It burns off anxiety, as well as increases the endorphins (feel good hormones) that will emotionally keep us leveled out. Adequate sleep is an absolute must. For me, if I slack off on the exercise, I have trouble sleeping, then I cannot cope. Once again the vicious cycle has begun):
I do hope you feel better soon. Perhaps your therapist can teach you progressive relaxation exercises or imagery to get you through the tough times. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan