Dependency Breeds Poverty

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-01-2004
Dependency Breeds Poverty
75
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 8:25am

Education and a value system that supports a stable lifestyle prevent poverty. . .programs that foster dependency

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-25-2010
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 10:54am
What are you talking about?
Is your argument so wrapped up in me righteousnesses and bitter toward anyone who had it easier that a complement is undecipherable?
You talk about how your parents gave you will to strive for what you wanted. That is good. But you do not seem to appreciate it.
many cultures do in fact teach their children to strive,to achieve.
Some parents do not!
These are facts.
yes people can turn around but they are not to be belittled while they fight with their demons. What is wrong with a small town truck stop who was bypassed by the super to go from near bankruptcy to millionaire status? What is wrong for a salesman of milkshake blender to go and found an empire? Why are they excuses?
When people overcome obstacles they are whining? Think again!
Work hard work will get you nowhere with out a goal and a bit of luck!
We in this country have become our own worst enemies. We bogart the knowledge and do not wish others well not to rejoice in their success but rather feel their success is our failure.
Excuse?
IMO it sound like you resent others who are more cunning and used things to their advantage.
blue dragon with sword
























xvx Pictures, Images and Photos


iVillage Member
Registered: 01-25-2010
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 11:11am
Where is this coming from?
>> The distinction is that conservatives see profits as evidence of a successful company that's contributing to the economy and providing a needed service...while liberals see profits as evidence that a company is evil and that those profits should be taken from the company that EARNED them and redistributed to people who didn't.<<<<
Wrong!! Very wrong.
Wealth redistribution is a very conservative value. In English History it was a way to keep the Barons from revolting! Henry the VIII used to "visit" each his Barons with his court retinue and stay a month or so eat the baron dry and move on to the next troublemaker!
Many other nations had the same problems. When some people get rich they get ideas of power. In many nations that ment taking power by force.
blue dragon with sword
























xvx Pictures, Images and Photos


iVillage Member
Registered: 01-25-2010
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 11:29am

because your missive was so long I thought I would answer in parts.
>>>>, and other conservatives, have no problem paying a reasonable amount of our income for taxes to get services. What we object to is the government taking an UNreasonable amount of our income to give to someone else.<<<<<
What is unreasonable?

>>>Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I don't have as much as I think I should have...so give me some of the money THEY earned! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! The completely absurd liberal notion of redistributing wealth is a proven failure that kills enterprise, creates unsustainable costs, kills jobs and kills the economy...not surprising it's one of the foundations of the Democrat platform.<<<<
What? Be more specific. This is just hot air with nothing to back it up. Back this up with some facts.

>>>> Yeah...except that Congressmen aren't elected by "big money interests," they're elected by the citizenry...who, if they don't feel are having their interests represented are free to vote for someone else.<<<<<<
Wrong. Money talks! The more money in a campaign the better chance of winning. While it does not guarantee victory it has an impact. More people will hear your message meaning you reach your followers and new followers.
Advertising has proven brand names do have an advantage. Not that it guarantees victory but the long odd are it will.

>>>>>Transfer, yes...redistribute, no.<<<<<
And the difference is?
>>>>I'm all for VERY limited welfare...just as I'm all for limited unemployment and limited every other kind of "safety net"...unlike libs who consider them lifestyle choices.<<<
It is limited. So what are your referring to?

lease note: "All political and economic systems facilitate the transfer of wealth, including capitalism, communism and socialism"

Please note: Yes, those are the methods of the liberal nanny-government.

>>> So capitalism is not on your approved economic system list. Right?

>>>Of course it is...was I unclear?<<<
Yes you are very unclear. There is NO PURE CAPITALIST STATE!
So you answer is confusing.

>>>>Then they'd better learn to be happy with the crappy non-state of the art medical-dental care they've been receiving for decades...you know, the poor medical treatment that foreigners come here in droves to get<<<
There did this come from when Medical tourism is alive and well and they are NOT coming to the us buy the state of the art Thailand Hospitals.

*http://www.thepilot.com/news/2010/jul/11/economists-report-medical-tourism-rise/

blue dragon with sword
























xvx Pictures, Images and Photos


iVillage Member
Registered: 01-25-2010
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 1:58pm
After all this back and forth here is a bit of Humour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRQUCBBdgrU&feature=related
blue dragon with sword
























xvx Pictures, Images and Photos


iVillage Member
Registered: 04-04-2001
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 4:07pm
Pretty, bright, able to see themselves and life with a touch of humor. . .:)
iVillage Member
Registered: 04-04-2001
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 4:15pm

I was fortunate in that respect. . .on the other hand, one can only blame unhappiness on one's parents for so long.

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-25-2010
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 4:20pm
Recognizing where dysfunctional behavior comes from is very important. Equally important is to move forward. What happen is the past and cannot be undone. There is the now and the future. Feeling woe is me does a person no good. Shed grief over mistakes and move on. One good thing about the US is we can fail. We fail until we succeed.
blue dragon with sword
























xvx Pictures, Images and Photos


iVillage Member
Registered: 04-04-2001
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 4:32pm
True.
iVillage Member
Registered: 09-03-2010
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 5:02pm

>>> Where is this coming from?
>> The distinction is that conservatives see profits as evidence of a successful company that's contributing to the economy and providing a needed service...while liberals see profits as evidence that a company is evil and that those profits should be taken from the company that EARNED them and redistributed to people who didn't.<<<<
Wrong!! Very wrong.

Reality...unfortunately.

>>> Wealth redistribution is a very conservative value.

And yet, there are no conservatives espousing this "very conservative value"...only liberals. Isn't that strange?

>>> In English History it was a way to keep the Barons from revolting! Henry the VIII used to "visit" each his Barons with his court retinue and stay a month or so eat the baron dry and move on to the next troublemaker!

First of all, that's not true. A royal visit, while expensive, generally showed favor, not disdain. Second, that's gross consumption, not a redistribution of wealth.

>>> Many other nations had the same problems. When some people get rich they get ideas of power. In many nations that ment taking power by force.

And? How do you think Henry VIII became king? Or Caesar?

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-03-2010
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 5:32pm

>>>>, and other conservatives, have no problem paying a reasonable amount of our income for taxes to get services. What we object to is the government taking an UNreasonable amount of our income to give to someone else.<<<<<

>>> What is unreasonable?

That's subjective. I'd say more than 30%...all in. Then there's the reason taxes are collected. I object to taking money from me and my family and handing it out to other people who didn't earn it.

>>>Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I don't have as much as I think I should have...so give me some of the money THEY earned! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! The completely absurd liberal notion of redistributing wealth is a proven failure that kills enterprise, creates unsustainable costs, kills jobs and kills the economy...not surprising it's one of the foundations of the Democrat platform.<<<<

>>> What? Be more specific. This is just hot air with nothing to back it up. Back this up with some facts.

LOL! Typical. Look around...listen...Obama and the Dems have admitted they want to redistribute wealth. They have specifically acknowledged that they want to force people to buy insurance, even if they don't need it, so that the money, or the penalties they'll impose, can be used to provide free, or subsidized insurance for other people. And that's just one recent example.

BTW...here's a little math problem for you...Obama gave a "tax break", i.e. he sent out "rebate" checks, to 95% of the American people...and yet, 45% of the American people pay no taxes. How can people who don't pay taxes get a rebate? Hmmm...

>>>> Yeah...except that Congressmen aren't elected by "big money interests," they're elected by the citizenry...who, if they don't feel are having their interests represented are free to vote for someone else.<<<<<<

>>> Wrong. Money talks! The more money in a campaign the better chance of winning. While it does not guarantee victory it has an impact. More people will hear your message meaning you reach your followers and new followers.
Advertising has proven brand names do have an advantage. Not that it guarantees victory but the long odd are it will.

Well, yes, awareness is helpful...but as I said, if the politician does not represent the wishes of the majority of his constituents, they can vote him/her out of office.

>>>>>Transfer, yes...redistribute, no.<<<<<

>>> And the difference is?

Capitalism transfers wealth by creation and consumption...which drives the economy and creates wealth. Liberals want to "transfer" wealth by taking it from someone who earned it and giving it to someone who didn't...which harms the economy and creates mediocrity.

>>>>I'm all for VERY limited welfare...just as I'm all for limited unemployment and limited every other kind of "safety net"...unlike libs who consider them lifestyle choices.<<<

>>> It is limited. So what are your referring to?

Well, you and I have different ideas of what "limited" means. I'm referring to liberals constantly wanting to take money from those who earn it to provide hand-outs to those who didn't earn it.

lease note: "All political and economic systems facilitate the transfer of wealth, including capitalism, communism and socialism"

Please note: Yes, those are the methods of the liberal nanny-government.

>>> So capitalism is not on your approved economic system list. Right?

>>>Of course it is...was I unclear?<<<

>>> Yes you are very unclear. There is NO PURE CAPITALIST STATE!
So you answer is confusing.

Yes, I can see you're confused. The US currently has a capitalist system driving our economy...which is being perpetually undermined by liberals in government.

>>>>Then they'd better learn to be happy with the crappy non-state of the art medical-dental care they've been receiving for decades...you know, the poor medical treatment that foreigners come here in droves to get<<<

>>> There did this come from when Medical tourism is alive and well and they are NOT coming to the us buy the state of the art Thailand Hospitals.

It came from your confusing and uninformed notion that the average American cannot afford state of the art medical treatment.

Pages