Dependency Breeds Poverty

iVillage Member
Dependency Breeds Poverty
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 8:25am

Education and a value system that supports a stable lifestyle prevent poverty. . .programs that foster dependency

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 5:43pm

Please do not read into what is written.
>>>>First of all, that's not true. A royal visit, while expensive, generally showed favor, not disdain. Second, that's gross consumption, not a redistribution of wealth.<<<<<<
I never said or implied disdain only a tactic used fro dual purposes. The noble was seen having the King's favor while the king reduced the wealth of the noble.

>>>>>> Many other nations had the same problems. When some people get rich they get ideas of power. In many nations that ment taking power by force.

And? How do you think Henry VIII became king? Or Caesar?<<<<<<

So you do see the danger.

blue dragon with sword

xvx Pictures, Images and Photos

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 6:18pm

>>>OL! Typical. Look around...listen...Obama and the Dems have admitted they want to redistribute wealth. They have specifically acknowledged that they want to force people to buy insurance, even if they don't need it, so that the money, or the penalties they'll impose, can be used to provide free, or subsidized insurance for other people. And that's just one recent example.<<<
We went over this; the cost of taxpayers footing the emergency room visits are higher than having health insurance. The government forces auto insurance. Yet about 85% of drivers never have an accident. So that argument does not stand. As there is ample precedent.
The cost of living is high or low depending on many factors.

>>>>I object to taking money from me and my family and handing it out to other people who didn't earn it.<<<
What state has outlawed welfare? What state has outlawed unemployment? Has the federal government ever pushed to outlaw that.

>>>That's subjective. I'd say more than 30%...all in.
A real 30% or in the 30% bracket? Flat 30% for upper (to me that is 500000USD) never happen. Even when the tax brackets went past 70% almost no one ever paid that amount.

The 45% that don't pay taxes. Not so fast. Let's say "bob" is working at a job the his hourly gross is 8.00 hr he pays taxes on that income each biweekly ck. But come tax time his deductions are more than he paid in so he gets a refund hence no tax. But one would say what happened to all the money he paid in. That money is invested to get a interest return so the government does make money.

>>> Capitalism transfers wealth by creation and consumption...which drives the economy and creates wealth. Liberals want to "transfer" wealth by taking it from someone who earned it and giving it to someone who didn't...which harms the economy and creates mediocrity.

>>>>I'm all for VERY limited welfare...just as I'm all for limited unemployment and limited every other kind of "safety net"...unlike libs who consider them lifestyle choices.<<<

>>> It is limited. So what are your referring to?

The problem is in definition: Let's say a person puts in 20 years in the military and 22 years in Civil service so he is eligible for pensions. But those pension were earned right?
So then we are not talking about the retired.
What programs are we discussing. This is so we don't talk apples and oranges.
>>>>>> There did this come from when Medical tourism is alive and well and they are NOT coming to the us buy the state of the art Thailand Hospitals.

It came from your confusing and uninformed notion that the average American cannot afford state of the art medical treatment.<<<

Wrong The cost of many treatments are outside the ability to pay even with insurance. The insurance companies are happy to save 25% or more by shipping the patient out to Thailand's world class Hospital or to Vietnam eye clinics.
Unfortunately the establishment in the US does not see what a gold mine advanced medicine is. Worse We are the preferred training center for most of the world's medical students!
Why do we continually shoo ourselves in the foot?

>>>>Well, yes, awareness is helpful...but as I said, if the politician does not represent the wishes of the majority of his constituents, they can vote him/her out of office<< they can but usually do not.

blue dragon with sword

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 1:29am

>>> What are you talking about?

I didn't think it was that confusing.

>>> Is your argument so wrapped up in me righteousnesses and bitter toward anyone who had it easier that a complement is undecipherable?

My argument is wrapped up in personal responsibility and objecting to arguments that want to blame anyone other than themselves for their lot in life.

>>> You talk about how your parents gave you will to strive for what you wanted. That is good. But you do not seem to appreciate it.

Of course I do...which is why I'm not blaming anyone other than me for my lot in life and I'm not sitting around with my hand out looking for others to provide for me or my family.

many cultures do in fact teach their children to strive,to achieve. Some parents do not! These are facts.

Sorry...um...boo hoo. Maybe it's time for these "children" to grow up and get a clue how the world works...or should work if liberals would keep their hands out of my wallet.

>>> yes people can turn around but they are not to be belittled while they fight with their demons.

Nor are they to be coddled.

>>> What is wrong with a small town truck stop who was bypassed by the super to go from near bankruptcy to millionaire status?

If the truck stop was "bypassed by the super"...whatever that is...how did it go from "near bankruptcy to millionaire status?"

>>> What is wrong for a salesman of milkshake blender to go and found an empire? Why are they excuses?

Why would someone who found success through his own ingenuity and enterprise be making excuses?

>>> When people overcome obstacles they are whining? Think again!

When did I ever say that?

>>> Work hard work will get you nowhere with out a goal and a bit of luck!

No such thing as luck...hard work and a solid plan will reap rewards...beyond that, it's a matter of how good the service or product you're selling is.

>>> We in this country have become our own worst enemies.

By accepting the mediocrity, lack of values and assault on achievement that liberals have imposed on the country and in our schools.

>>> We bogart the knowledge and do not wish others well not to rejoice in their success but rather feel their success is our failure.

Yes...that does seem to be a liberal mantra.

>>> IMO it sound like you resent others who are more cunning and used things to their advantage.

Not sure where you got that idea about someone who has always endorsed personal responsibility...unless you're referring to those "cunning" people who think they're entitled to the money other people earned through hard work.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 1:35am

Please do not read into what is written.
>>>>First of all, that's not true. A royal visit, while expensive, generally showed favor, not disdain. Second, that's gross consumption, not a redistribution of wealth.<<<<<<
>>> I never said or implied disdain only a tactic used fro dual purposes. The noble was seen having the King's favor while the king reduced the wealth of the noble.

Disdain is implied if you're going to suggest that the motive of a royal progress was to bankrupt "trouble makers"...which wasn't the intention at all.

>>>>>> Many other nations had the same problems. When some people get rich they get ideas of power. In many nations that ment taking power by force.

<< And? How do you think Henry VIII became king? Or Caesar?<<<<<<

>>> So you do see the danger.

No, not really...at least not until we see some of these "rich people" raising private armies that could rival the US military...and frankly, that ain't gonna happen, so I'm sleeping fine at night.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 3:23am

>>>>If the truck stop was "bypassed by the super"...whatever that is...how did it go from "near bankruptcy to millionaire status?"<<
The 64 year old went on the road ans leased his method for cooking Chicken - Colonel Sanders of KFC

>>>Why would someone who found success through his own ingenuity and enterprise
Why would someone who found success through his own ingenuity and enterprise be making excuses?

>>> When people overcome obstacles they are whining? Think again!

When did I ever say that? yes
>>>No such thing as luck...hard work and a solid plan will reap rewards...beyond that, it's a matter of how good the service or product you're selling is.<<<<<
Wrong there is luck . Bill Gates tried to sell Microsoft to Ross Perot. Luck Perot turned him down! Generally LUCK = preparation meets opportunity!

>>>not sure where you got that idea about someone who has always endorsed personal responsibility...unless you're referring to those "cunning" people who think they're entitled to the money other people earned through hard work.<<
Being smart is a liability? There a lot of "hard workers who never achieve. Success is more than just hard work. Blaming "liberals" is as useless as blaming Neptune for the rain.
Have you not falling into the blame game rather than figure out how to overcome obstacles. No matter who is in power there will always be problems.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 3:27am

>>>>Please do not read into what is written.
>>> I never said or implied disdain only a tactic used fro dual purposes. The noble was seen having the King's favor while the king reduced the wealth of the noble.

Disdain is implied if you're going to suggest that the motive of a royal progress was to bankrupt "trouble makers"...which wasn't the intention at all.<<<<
Now where did you get that: Rofl
Henry the VIII ? You must be mis informed!!!

>>>>>>> So you do see the danger.

No, not really...at least not until we see some of these "rich people" raising private armies that could rival the US military...and frankly, that ain't gonna happen, so I'm sleeping fine at night.<<<<<<<
They don't need an army when they have a pen and a deep checkbook.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 3:03pm

<< If the truck stop was "bypassed by the super"...whatever that is...how did it go from "near bankruptcy to millionaire status?"<<

>>> The 64 year old went on the road ans leased his method for cooking Chicken - Colonel Sanders of KFC

So instead of whining because his truck stop was bypassed and asking for handouts and welfare, the Colonel actually decided to take personal responsibility for his situation, worked hard and achieved success. Applause to the Colonel.

<< Why would someone who found success through his own ingenuity and enterprise be making excuses?

<< When people overcome obstacles they are whining? Think again!

>>> When did I ever say that? yes

What?

<< No such thing as luck...hard work and a solid plan will reap rewards...beyond that, it's a matter of how good the service or product you're selling is.<<<<<

>>> Wrong there is luck .

Ok...you cling to your rabbit's foot, and I'll stick with hard work and enterprise.

>>> Bill Gates tried to sell Microsoft to Ross Perot. Luck Perot turned him down! Generally LUCK = preparation meets opportunity!

It was a business decision, not luck.

<< not sure where you got that idea about someone who has always endorsed personal responsibility...unless you're referring to those "cunning" people who think they're entitled to the money other people earned through hard work.<<

>>> Being smart is a liability?

I wouldn't think so.

>>> There a lot of "hard workers who never achieve. Success is more than just hard work.

Very few hard workers never "achieve." They might not become "wealthy" but they'll do much better than the slackers or those who are content to get by on handouts.

>>> Blaming "liberals" is as useless as blaming Neptune for the rain.

That might be true, unless Neptune were actually responsible for the rain. In the real world, liberals actually are responsible for many of the policies that are doing damage to the country and it's people.

>>> Have you not falling into the blame game rather than figure out how to overcome obstacles. No matter who is in power there will always be problems.

To figure out how to overcome obstacles you first have to understand what the obstacles are and what's causing them. Liberal policies are the cause of many obstacles that are facing the country today, so, in order to set the country back on it's proper path, we must wrest power from liberals and overturn their destructive policies.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 3:53pm

>>>Ok...you cling to your rabbit's foot, and I'll stick with hard work and enterprise.

>>> Bill Gates tried to sell Microsoft to Ross Perot. Luck Perot turned him down! Generally LUCK = preparation meets opportunity!

It was a business decision, not luck.
What business decision from whose stand point? From Ross Perot yes it was a business decision. He could not have known he missed the opportunity of the century. For Bill Gates it was luck!
Are the writings from a "big Picture" stand point?

Fortune favors the bold!
>>> Liberal policies are the cause of many obstacles that are facing the country today, so, in order to set the country back on it's proper path, we must wrest power from liberals and overturn their destructive policies.<<<<
Why are you asking for the same thing? Make the world fit my values is what you keep writing even though those days are long gone.

Pay as a remission of taxes to every poor family, out of the surplus taxes, and in room of poor-rates, four pounds a year for every child under fourteen years of age." Thomas Paine, The Rights of Man.

Edited 9/17/2010 8:59 pm ET by xxxs

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 1:45am

>>>Ok...you cling to your rabbit's foot, and I'll stick with hard work and enterprise.

>>> It was a business decision, not luck.

>>> What business decision from whose stand point? From Ross Perot yes it was a business decision. He could not have known he missed the opportunity of the century. For Bill Gates it was luck!

Who knows what might have happened if Gates sold a large portion of Microsoft to Perot? Maybe Microsoft would be bigger? One could speculate endlessly.

Are the writings from a "big Picture" stand point?

>>> Fortune favors the bold!

Sometimes.

>>> Liberal policies are the cause of many obstacles that are facing the country today, so, in order to set the country back on it's proper path, we must wrest power from liberals and overturn their destructive policies.<<<<

>>> Why are you asking for the same thing?

I'm not. If I were, I'd be a liberal.

>>> Make the world fit my values is what you keep writing even though those days are long gone.

Until November.

>>> Pay as a remission of taxes to every poor family, out of the surplus taxes, and in room of poor-rates, four pounds a year for every child under fourteen years of age." Thomas Paine, The Rights of Man.

Repeal that law, and you will soon see a change in their manners...industry will increase, and with it plenty among the lower people; their circumstances will mend, and more will be done for their happiness by inuring them to provide for themselves, than could be done by dividing all your estates among them.

– Benjamin Franklin, letter to Collinson, May 9, 1753

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 1:49am

>>>>Please do not read into what is written.

>>> Disdain is implied if you're going to suggest that the motive of a royal progress was to bankrupt "trouble makers"...which wasn't the intention at all.<<<<
>>> Now where did you get that: Rofl
Henry the VIII ? You must be mis informed!!!

Yes, I'm misinformed by actual history, rather than some liberal comic book version.

>>>>>>> So you do see the danger.

No, not really...at least not until we see some of these "rich people" raising private armies that could rival the US military...and frankly, that ain't gonna happen, so I'm sleeping fine at night.<<<<<<<

>>> They don't need an army when they have a pen and a deep checkbook.

No one is going to take over the country with a pen and a deep checkbook.

Pages