Veil

iVillage Member
Veil
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 12:14pm

iVillage Member
In reply to: tom_j_g
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 2:53am

Religious duty, as far as I know. However, in Islam, not many things are directly decreed in the Quran. This means that most of the "rules" are based on hadith (things the Prophet reportedly said). Of the various learned people who assembled and interpreted these hadith, 4 wrote what became canonical law books. So in Islam there are 4 legal "schools" that people can follow. Those law books explain both religious and "worldly" law, i.e. when and how to pray, for example, as well as the law governing inheritance.

Anyway, I have not read the law books, so I don't know what they say about hijab, but the Muslims I have spoken to consider it a religious duty.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
– George Orwell
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 1:57pm

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 1:28pm

"Addendum: I was also interested in the statement that “Muslim leaders concur that Islam does not require a woman to hide her face.”"

As far as I know, the above is true. All Muslims I have asked have told me that they consider the hijab (the head scarf) to be a duty, but not the niqab (the full veil). However, I cannot give you any sources to support that.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
– George Orwell