‘I’m Exhausted of Defending You’

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 12:56pm

September 20, 2010 3:58 P.M.
By Daniel Foster

One of the more memorable moments from the Obama CNBC town hall came when an African-American woman — a military veteran and mother of two — told the president she was “exhausted of defending” his administration:

“I’m one of your middle-class Americans, and quite frankly I’m exhausted. I’m exhausted of defending you, defending your administration, defending the mantle of change that I voted for, and deeply disappointed with where we are right now. I had been told that I voted for a man who said he was going to change things in a meaningful way for the middle class. I’m one of those people and I’m waiting, sir. I’m waiting. I don’t feel it yet, and I thought that — while it wouldn’t be in great measure — I would feel it in some small measure.”

The woman than talks about the impact of the recession on her family, her worry about being able to pay her two daughters’ tuition, and her fear that her family may be heading back to their “hot dogs and beans days.”
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/247152/im-exhausted-defending-you-daniel-foster

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 1:42pm

No wonder his approval ratings have dropped so much, many of those that voted for him are "exhausted" trying to defend the indefensible.

Look at these boards. Used to be way more lefties here than righties. He's been such a disaster, even they got too exhausted to defend him.

Bottom line is that life is harder for a lot of people because of what he's done in office. Judging by his actions, he's decided to push through his agenda of expanding government instead of taking steps to strengthen the private sector and create jobs.

"Resist, we much. We must, and we much. About that, be committed."

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 2:21pm

Wrong....

Got tired of being called names...

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 2:35pm
n/t
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 4:14pm

Try another one, that one doesn't hold water. The conservatives would have left too.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 4:24pm
Let this be a lesson to any new president. Move slowly in your first two years learn the job first. Although now one could have predicted the depth of the new recession and the length of the time it will be before the people are back on their feet. Rushing through legislation no matter how well intentioned. will always be looked at askance.
Also, If you are an intellectual president who does not bring an emotional message FIND ONE! Obama has poor ad/ sound bite people working for him. His legislation changes get little press and no emotional cheer leading.
xvx Pictures, Images and Photos

xvx Pictures, Images and Photos

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 4:31pm

Well let's see. There use to be at the minimum, 100 post here a day. Some days, over 1,000 post. Today there are what? 10? So I'd say a whole lot of people got tired of the name calling, rude, non-debate, attacks.

I'm betting a lot of people left here.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 4:41pm
Could be, but it all happened after Obama got in office. I don't think people just decided there was too much name calling at that point. From what I remember, you'd get warned and banned if you did that kind of stuff anyway.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 4:52pm
As if name-calling wasn't part of the liberal debate strategy for the past 10 years. The problem now, is that they've gotten to the point, like the woman in the OP, that they can't defend Obama or the Democrats anymore...and so they've retreated.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 5:01pm

Gee, I haven't changed my name in the 4 years I've been here. So I wonder, how many others can claim the same?

No one retreated. Just are someplace where we are very welcome. Everyone, Republican, Democrat, Independent is treated with R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 5:31pm
Yep.

Pages