Do you diet?

Administrator
Do you diet?
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 8:46am

Most of us here spend quite a bit of time working out and are probably at least in sight of healthy weights for us. So, knowing you spend quite a bit of time working out I wonder if you "diet" as well. If not, how do you maintain your weight?

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: cmkarla
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 8:55am
No. I make sure to eat well, whole foods, lots of vegetables/fruits but I don't "diet." I'm careful about what I eat but if I eat well 80-85% of the time, I enjoy the other things I have. I know so many women who are meticulous about every bite and count every calorie and while I think there is a place for it if someone is losing a large amount of weight or wants to maintain a healthier weight, I think it can also be obsessive. I think, for most people, that if you're having to be that careful, you're trying to maintain too low of a weight. I've BTDT. It's much more freeing maintaining a healthy weight, not a thin weight, if that makes sense. I was training someone recently who told me in the past year, she's let herself gain a few pounds because she can enjoy her life more. That's a big break through. She's still healthy and thin, just not as thin as she was. I'm more about the health, mental and physical, than the weight.

Administrator
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 9:23am

I totally know what you mean. I'm a "all things in moderation" type gal myself. I don't diet either though I am working toward improving my choices. I don't eat enough veggies and heavy use of salt is definitely one of my downfalls. My hubby is one of those who obsesses at times and he always seems to gain weight when he's counting every bite because all the does is think about food.

Karla

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 9:31am

Diets are not sustainable and if those woman at your gym don't know that, they will soon. :)

I always tell my clients that the problem with diets is that they're temporary. At some point (usually unplanned), the diet ends and you're right back where you started.

So no, I don't "diet" either. I am continually striving to make healthy choices but after a recent weight gain, it's come to my attention that I need to work on that harder. I suppose my version of dieting is when I start tracking my food intake. That will end as well but it propels me toward being used to having a certain amount of food for meals and snacks.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 9:38am

Exactly--I can't imagine being that disciplined that it wouldn't drive me crazy to be worried about every bite. Back when there was a Healthy Eating Board w/ Lynn Grieger, there was one young woman who kept popping in w/ questions about calories in an olive oil spray that she used to on her pans to roast vegetables, the 1/4 cup of wine in a whole dish, etc. She kept aiming for this crazy low weight, over years, and nothing anyone would tell her made a difference. I can't imagine the stress that would take on you.

I also work to add vegetables to my diet. I just don't think I could overdo on them. I used to watch my salt but decided I like it too much, I sweat profusely when I work out, my bp is 90/60 on a good day. I decided there wasn't a point to reducing something that isn't bad for me, personally. It would be a different matter if I had high blood pressure or retained water or something but I don't notice a difference at all. Where I fall short I think is fruit intake--in the summer, I overdo, in the winter, rarely eat it since I love seasonal fruit but am not crazy about citrus. So...if I look at it over the year, I'm fine but by the week, not so much. But, in the scheme of things, it's pretty minor.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 9:42am

I know women who are obsessive about what they eat and keep it up. I feel bad for them because it's endless guilt when they eat a bite of ice cream or whatever. There is one instructor at my friend's gym who said something about being REALLY bad that morning because she had...a banana. Yeah, a banana. That's just her life and she's been like that for years.

At the same time, I think part of it is perspective. People tell me how I'm so "good" with how I eat and work out. It's part of my lifestyle--sure I'm better than the general population as that goes but I don't see it as obsessive, though others might. I don't think about, I just am.

Administrator
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 9:50am

lol My BP is also 90/60 on good days. Not too bad for my age and I'd like to keep it this way since heart disease runs in my family. My main concern with salt is the examply I am setting for my children.Same with my veggie/fruit intake. I tend to eat salad and meat for dinner and I've been trying to at least rev up my salad with various other veggie combos.

Karla

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 11:39am

OK Karla and Jean...I am so jealous of your bp!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 12:08pm
I love summer salads. If I won the lottery, I'd have someone chop up various vegetables for a huge salad and I'd be happy. The problem I run into is that it's so time consuming for me to chop everything I want. I've also gotten into roasted vegetable salads--what I love about them is that I cook up a lot and then use them for a few days. But, I'll confess that I can eat a whole head of roasted cauliflower...

Administrator
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 12:12pm
I don't detest cauliflower but it's definitely not my first choice. Or second. Or third... ;)

Karla

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 12:12pm

My attitude has changed a lot since being on the board, in part because of the gym rats, in part because of age. I want to age gracefully and not be worried about appearance. At some point, it's more important just good to be healthy and fit than thin. As I've said, I'd much rather be overweight and fit and healthy than thin and not. Oh, there was an article in the Washington Post about that yesterday. If I find it, I'll post it. It's about how you can be overweight and fit and healthy, especially as you get older, as long as you're working out and moving.

But, I have to say also, that I don't think I would be happy being heavier than I am right now, if it were all fat. I find it hard to move easily when I start feeling blobby. So, there is a give and take.

Pages