Administrator
Have you even tried Yoga?
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 10:45am

Have you even tried Yoga?

• Yes, I practice Yoga regularly

• Yes, I practice Yoga often

• Yes

• Not yet but I'm going to

• No. I'm just investigating why it's suddenly so talked about.

• I'm not interested. I'm just like voting in polls.

• Other

You will be able to change your vote.

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

Administrator
Mon, 10-25-2010 - 3:17pm

WOW-what a fantastic story. Thanks for sharing!!

Karla

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-22-2010 - 12:31pm

I've been doing yoga on and off for about five or so years. My grandmother is in her late 80s and has been doing it since she was a teen! I don't remember how she got into it then, she did tell me once, but she is in awesome shape because of it. She has stamina, flexibility, strength, and acts like a 50 year old, until she recently ended up with heart disease. You can't dodge it forever, I guess. But I know it helped her get along so well for as long as she has! She swears by it!

I was in a accident a year and half ago and have a herniated disc and it also increased the arthritis in my pelvis and spine joints. I was afraid of doing yoga. When I was going to have a procedure done this morning, medial branch blocker, I decided to do some yoga and pilates I used to love doing and thought it would bring on the pain the doctor wanted me in when I went in for the appointment. WRONG! It felt great when I did my limits and I am excited to say I'll back on board with it!!!! Yeeehaaa!

Kristin Wilson Nature/Wildlife/Pet Advocate and Lover There's so much to teach and learn from others. Let's share!
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-23-2010 - 3:35pm
I have been doing yoga for about 5 years now and I love it. One of the first things a yoga instructor should tell you is that yoga is a practice, it isn't something perfected in a couple of classes. There are poses that I still cannot do. Start going to beginner yoga classes and stick with those until you are comfortable and want to push yourself a little harder. Hope that helps! :)
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 11:33pm

Hi there yoginis! (that's a woman who practices yoga :)

I am actually a trained yoga teacher, 500 hour level. I cannot recommend a beginner class enough! Find a reputable studio in your neighborhood/area and find out what options they have for beginners. It's really great to have someone take you through the basics, breathing can be challenging, and a teacher can help you through the mysteries :) It's also very important your body is aligned properly in the poses--teachers can see you and make adjustments, answer questions, etc. Videos and TV can be great if you can't make it to a regular class once in awhile.

There is just something about the energy of a group and the feeling you get being with like minded folks. In yoga, we call it sangha. And it's amazing.

Taking regular yoga classes, you will notice you feel better, calmer and more at peace. There are a lot of reasons to do yoga, and one of the side effects is often looking great, too.

As with any exercise program, take it slow to start, and keep at it! Yoga is hard! Especially when you have a terrific teacher you can trust, you can go so far and feel good about it.

Hope that helps! I just love yoga, so if anyone has questions, please ask :)

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 11:51am

I wonder if you'd want to investigate Pilates then? It integrates well with yoga.

I had an emergency c-section w/my first baby & had a OB who was having babies (and c-sections) with me. So she was extremely concerned with the scar.

So when I had my 2nd child (breach) I had a repeat c-section. I remember very well her pulling & tugging while at the same time trying to go over the exact scar from before. I remember her mentioning how strong my muscles had redeveloped and that is unusual for a c-section.

I think it was the Pilates I did in between pregnancies.

Plus, if you find you like yoga, having a strong core will really help with all of yoga poses.

.... my problem area are my thighs & buttocks :)

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
Administrator
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 7:59am

Hi and welcome! I'm no Yogini so can't be of much help. Have you checked out Exercise TV's beginner Yoga

Karla

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2010 - 6:31pm

I am woefully out of shape and want to begin a simple program. I am impressed with the stretching aspects of Yoga but a little confused as to where to start. In addition to "getting in shape",I want to get rid of my tummy bulge. If you have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I'll just keeping watching the board.

Thanks