Brown vs White rice Surprising little

iVillage Member
Brown vs White rice Surprising little
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 12:54pm
Difference between the two. I made some last night, cause I had used up all of our white, and didn't want to try to run to the store with a baby suffering from a bout of upset tummy. Also I've been wanting to try it, with the whole "its better for you" thing, but slightly afraid because "healthy food doesn't taste good". There is a slight difference in texture, but none in taste that I noticed, and DH didn't even say anything, but I didn't tell him :P I've learned if I don't tell him that something he might not like is in dinner, then I get a true reaction of if whether he likes it or not :)
Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Community Leader
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 3:19pm

If you are cooking from plain raw rice, the brown rice takes about twice as long, and I think it tastes nuttier, actually better, than white rice.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 8:20am

I had to laugh about your post where you said not telling DH about what type of rice it was. My Fiance hates sour cream with a purple passion but loves my Beef Stroganoff. Guess what's in that? Ha! Ha!

I'm a stinker. I put it in a lot of dishes.....mashed potatoes, gravy, cakes, etc... If he only knew!

"IMAGINE" All The people, Living Life in Peace...................., "You may say I'm a dreamer; But, I'm not he only one." "Be A Dreamer and Imagine."
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 9:51am
Neither me nor DH are fond of sour cream, but I did a sour cream and green onion mashed potatoes one night and we both loved it. I have learned that even if I don't like something, sometimes it just fits in a dish. I will definitely be switching to brown rice for a lot of things I make, and see if he ever notices :)
Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 1:39pm

How funny!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 09-14-2010 - 8:36pm

check my gumbo recipe with brown rice; white rice will work too, but I was looking to use brown rice for this particular audience.

Photobucket