Car repairs on the road!!

iVillage Member
Car repairs on the road!!
Thu, 09-30-2010 - 6:35pm

We broke down last week in West PA on our way to East. PA. Had to get towed with a 15 pass van full of product (at least an extra ton). Thank goodness for AAA, even tho they took 1.5 hours to get there. They towed us free to a repair place and we were able to rent a van from somewhere else to use, since they couldn't fix the van til the next day.

Ultimately we got where we needed to go that night in a rental, they fixed ours the next morning and we picked it up a few days later on our return toward home. Of course I'm shy almost $1000 for the repair and rental, but I was able to get where I needed to be to make that money back!

New siggie 10/08

suitcase tag

Gayle

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-22-2010 - 5:37pm

Gayle, that was a lucky break! Nice everything all worked out and you could still make your transaction on time!

I agree, AAA is a wonderful service! I've been a member for 34 years and have always been pleased with several areas of their service.

On our trip in June, we got a flat tire outside of Rapid City, SD. I called AAA and while talking to them, a trucker pulled in and the driver came right over to see if he could help. We were fortunate to be able to pull into a roadside convenience stop. We found that our "donut" spare tire was flat also! The trucker didn't have the means on his truck to blow up our spare tire, but told us to ask the next trucker that pulls in as most do carry such equipment with them. He then helped us shift our luggage around so we could put our bad tire in the trunk after we get the spare blown up and on the car. He then left and would not take any money from us as a thank you.

Sure enough, another trucker came along soon after the first one left and he did indeed have a thing on his truck to blow up our spare. He helped us and also would not take any money as a thank you. They were both very nice gentlemen and we were and remain thankful for the truckers!!

While my husband was putting the spare on the car, a young couple stopped to ask if they could help too. They stayed and visited with us for a bit before heading on their way. There are good people everywhere!

We, then, slowly made our way into Rapid City and to our hotel. The next morning, we bought our new tire at the tire mart nearby. We were lucky it all worked out so well.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-23-2010 - 12:30am

It's nice that there will always be people willing to help for no other reasdon than maybe to pass it on!

Gayle