My breasts, my baby, my choice!

iVillage Member
My breasts, my baby, my choice!
Fri, 09-24-2010 - 2:08am

Is there a new pregnancy or baby in your family! Congratulations!

At some point during pregnancy, people start asking mom how she is going to feed her baby?

If mom decides to use formula, people ask her why didn't she breastfed?

If mom decides to breastfed, people ask when is she going to wean?

How is such a personal decision any business of complete strangers??

Come and check out the Breastmilk vs Formula Debate board and find out what others are saying, and why they think this choice is so important!

Here are some of the latest topics:

Will Formula Feeding Harm My Baby?

Do You Prepare Formula Properly?

Cover-Ups for Kids Pretending to BF?

What are the Risks of using Formula?

Babywise Linked to Dehydration, FTT

So... come check out the Breastmilk vs Formula Debate board.

We have moms on the board who have breastfed, formula-fed, combo-fed, exclusively pumped, working & pumping and tube-fed - so come join us - all perspectives are welcome!

We don't bite... really!

~*~ Catherine, mom to three grown men - Jason, Michael & Joshua and Granma to Christopher & Leia.

CL Breastmilk vs. Formula Debate Board

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

~*~ Catherine, mom to three grown men - Jason, Michael & Joshua and Granma to Christopher & Leia.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 6:15pm
I appreciate the fact that you acknowledge that there is judgement and nosiness directed toward both moms who bottle feed and moms who breast feed. I am an adoptive mother, who always wanted to breastfeed. With the help of the Lact-Aid, a feeding tube device that delivers supplement to a baby suckling the breast, I was able to nurse my adopted children. I didn't get real far with my first two, and mostly bottle fed. My last four all nursed until they self-weaned, at about two years old. I needed the Lact-Aid until they were on other foods, too, but I produced a significant amount of breast milk. It was a wonderful experience.

I have done a lot to try to help other adoptive moms who want to breast feed. However, I don't try to talk anyone who isn't interested into doing it. I believe there are some definite benefits to breastfeeding. If I didn't, I would not have gone to so much extra effort in order to produce as much milk as possible for my kids. But I also know that it is possible for babies who grow up on formula to be healthy and beautiful, like my two oldest kids and my two grandkids.

I try to respect the choices of those moms who bottle feed. However, my choice hasn't always been respected. I have even had people tell me that it is "sick" to want to breast feed a baby you didn't give birth to, that it means that I am trying to pretend that I gave birth to the baby or get sexual satisfaction from it (which upsets me most of all), and that the child will grow up maladjusted because of it.

There is a lot involved in raising a child, and lots of choices to be made. No two moms make the same choices about everything, but we don't have to always do things the same way in order to support each other. The best thing anyone who is concerned about a child can do is to support that child's mother (and/or father, of course). A mother who has confidence in her ability to parent her child is much more able to do an effective job than one who doesn't.