About that flu shot

iVillage Member
About that flu shot
Fri, 09-24-2010 - 6:06am

So, this morning I asked my gynecologist about getting a flu shot -- after having read the link provided by CL Melissa on this board. The American stats in that

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-29-2010 - 2:13pm

Thanks Melissa. Was wondering. DS is getting the shot, so I might was well.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-28-2010 - 2:51pm
Krista, the H1N1 should be in the normal flu shot that your doctor gives out this year, I just had the discussion a couple of weeks ago with our pediatrician.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-27-2010 - 10:45pm

One way to look at it is that the flu shot is generally safe -- you might still get a different flu or a milder version, but it is a dead virus and won't cause the flu. Still, it is a personal decision. I have not even thought about when I am going to get my shot...but my DSs pediatrician is likely to stab me when I bring him in for his shot. And I don't know if they are giving out H1N1 shots too or what.

Ok to be confused...I think a lot of people are.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-27-2010 - 2:29am

Well, after reading Krista's and Renee's messages, I now feel kind of confused and unsure about what to do...... just thinking it over still.

Molly

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-24-2010 - 12:00pm

Molly, while I support anyone's decision not to have a flu shot (and there might be many compelling personal and medical reasons not to), I find it distressing that your gyno says that PG women's immune systems are not compromised -- that is simply not true and there is tons of evidence to the contrary. Our immune systems are compromised because they need to be for us to carry the baby who

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-24-2010 - 10:08am
I was on the fence about whether or not I should get the flu shot. I'm a real doubting Thomas when it comes to them. I have never received a flu shot before because I just don't believe in their efficacy. The virus can morph so quickly that by the time it makes its way around to you in January/February it probably isn't the same version that was included in the shot. But now I'm pregnant....

What I considered:
* I live in a transitory state - lots of people visiting theme parks and beaches and lots of retirees coming down to live in the winter months.
* My DD is in public school and is always exposed to and bringing home colds and sniffles
* We had two pregnant ladies DIE here last September. The one year anniversary of one 24-year old is coming up in just 5 days:
http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/...spital/1040171
* I just don't want any guilt factor. If a big outbreak were to occur, at least I know I did everything possible to protect the baby and prevent my family from losing me.

I got my flu shot on Tuesday. I felt tired that afternoon but other than that no other ill side effects.

Renee, 43, EDD 03/05/11

baby development