6 months old w/ allergies

iVillage Member
6 months old w/ allergies
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 11:47pm

My son is 6 months old now. He has been on Nutramigen since around 2 months old. We switched due to eczema like skin issues and constant wheezing in his chest. After we switched to Nutramigen, the wheezing and the his skin cleared up withing a couple weeks.

We are now trying to introduce foods. Between 4 and 6 months we tried rice cereal a couple times. I got nervous because I thought his symptoms were coming back and stopped. Well a few weeks back we started giving him rice for about a week straight. He started to get a cold. All of us at home had a cold also. So I don't know if it was a allergic reaction to the rice, or just a cold. Also he is teething so some of his cold symptoms could be due to him cutting teeth.

Its been 2 weeks since we stopped the rice, and he is still wheezing and it doesn't seem to be getting better.

His pedi has suggested Zyrtec in the past to help with some of the symptoms. Should I start giving him the Zyrtec until his wheezing is gone? Would that help with the wheezing?

I bought carrots to try and I gave them to him last night and tonight. Honestly I can't tell if its in my head or not, but I think his wheezing worse tonight. I want him to be able to eat, but I'm worried. He will sit there and watch is all eat and reach for food.

We haven't had any skin irritations at all.

Should carrots be fine?? Should I continue the carrots a few more days?? Or should I stop all foods until the wheezing is gone?

Also his pedi gave me a soy milk to try. I was going to start that in a couple days, but don't know what to start first, the soy milk or some veggies.

I've been reading what foods to stay away from. But is there a really good food to start with? I figured carrots should be fine.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2010 - 10:23am
Hi and welcome this world can be a tough one!

Katrina Pelters CL on Children's Allergies
Mom to Nicole Currently eating Elecare, Chicken breasts, eggs, Apples.  Failed trials: Soy, Rice, Dairy, Avacados, White potatos

Avoiding EVERYTHING ELSE!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2010 - 3:47pm

I haven't gave him the Zyrtec yet. I didn't even think about it until last night when I was reading the board but he was already asleep. Also I need to make sure that the Zyrtec that I have hasn't been recalled. His pedi saw him last week, but it had only been about a week with the cold and wheezing.

His pedi was waiting until we started to introduce foods to see how he reacts before sending him to an allergist.