Am I over-reacting?

iVillage Member
Am I over-reacting?
Fri, 09-24-2010 - 5:14am
Our allergist, who I loved, is away indefinitely on leave (I think for health problems). This quite a problem for us because there are no other pediatric allergists in our area which means we'll have to start travelling quite a distance to see one. I took the results from Mattias' most recent blood tests to our pediatrician while I look for another allergist.
I'm not sure how things work in the US, but the sheet with the results has all the allergens that were tested listed with the level (0-6) that ds is allergic to them. So for example, he is extremely allergic to eggs, it's considered a level 6 (>100). Basically if he eats eggs he'll go into anaphylactic shock. He tested level 3-5 for most of the other allergens and level 1 for tomatoes (yeah! this has gone down!).
When I went to the pediatrician I asked for an epi-pen to keep just in case of emergencies. I'm obviously super vigilant on what Mattias puts in his mouth (at 13 months that's just about everything!) but in any case we don't keep products with eggs in them in the house. The pediatrician looked at me as if I were crazy and told me not to overreact. Am I overreacting? From what I know of anaphylactic shock every second counts. We live out in the country, and while the hospital is pretty close by (20-25 mins.) I thought that in an emergency an epi-pen could save his life.
Do all of you carry epi-pens with you?
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-24-2010 - 5:07pm

Seriously over reacting? I have like 6 epis and my daughter isn't truely ana to anything! Yea so no don't think you are over reacting. You need a new pedi.

Katrina Pelters CL on Children's Allergies
Mom to Nicole Currently eating Elecare, Chicken breasts, eggs, Apples.  Failed trials: Soy, Rice, Dairy, Avacados, White potatos

Avoiding EVERYTHING ELSE!

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-25-2010 - 9:02am
Thanks for answering. I was kind of confused... I thought I was being responsible for asking for one (or 4 as you say)! In the past this pedi has been hugely supportive and understanding so I was surprised at her reaction, especially after reading your response. Maybe epis aren't common over here. I will definitely look at other pedis, but there's not much choice where we live. We actually only see her for routine check-ups, for everything else we go to the gastroentrologist, dermatologist or our much loved allergist. I'm so upset that's not an option any more.
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-06-2010 - 11:10am

I don't think you are over-reacting at all.

Photobucket