Fundraising at school

iVillage Member
Fundraising at school
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 1:23pm

My DD is at a new school grade 7 Jr. high everything is new to us but I found this really odd.
There was an announcment made at the school to collect the tabs off their pop cans and bring them into the office. DD thought that was fine until the next day they announced that it was to raise funds for the church? WTH? Whose church? what church? Seriously. This school had three hammers for 30 kids in the shop class. They were using boards and boots to hammer and they are fundraising for a church? Not getting it.
It doesn't help that in Science class they were dividing science into two subsections man made and nature made when the teacher added "but they all come under god". ARGH....
This is really new for us. Our previous elementary school was very PC and teachers kept their opinions to themselves.
Not sure if I could be miffed about this or not. Okay! I am miffed but if this is just the way it is I may have to get used to it or used to being miffed!LOL

Thanks for listening.
Liesl

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 2:16pm
Wow! Is this a public school? I'd be pissed!! I would complain and if nothing changed and I had the means, I'd consider filing a law suit! But probably the best course of action would be to try to get her switched to a different school. What does your daughter think of all this?
siggy
siggy
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 3:34pm

Thanks for your response.
Yes Public school NS Canada.
I'm not a make a fuss/lawsuit kind of girl nor is my daughter. She brings home the tales with a roll of her eyes she knows it's unfair and ignorant but wouldn't speak out for fear of standing out in the crowd. She isn't part of the popular kids as it is.
I wouldn't think of changing schools over this, she's not unhappy there just found these two incidents unusual. I try to get her to speak up to try to let people know that not everyone feels the same (re: under god). She's not going to speak out. Not just yet anyway! Maybe it will get too much for her some day and she'll snap!LOL!! ;-)

Thanks
Liesl

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 4:41pm

I would ignore it and not give to the fundraiser at all.

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 9:11pm
ACK!!!!!!!
I feel SO negative with the things I've posted here lately!!!!!
But this one would get my goat tremendously.
Yet another reason why I LOVE HOMESCHOOLING.
LOL
Karen