Eid Mubarak

iVillage Member
Eid Mubarak
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 4:45am

Happy Eid to those who are celbrating.

The end of Ramadam was celebrated by Turkey yesterday but the Pakistani community is celebrating today!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: mossstitch
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 7:10am

Thank you, Moss. Eid Mubarak to your husband and daughter.

It's been a full and long day. At 6.30 we were in the kitchen heating up food, laying the tables, cleaning. I put in the mutton to roast at 8.30. By 10.45 it was out of the oven and resting, and by 11.15 the first guest arrived. It's 6 pm now, there are still guests - this is the sixth group of guests to come and the last methinks (and hope.)

It's been very nice to see my aunts and uncles, my cousins and my parents' friends. I hadn't seen my second cousin in about 12 years - her kids were in preschool then and now her son is 6' tall!

Tomorrow if we're not too tired, my mother and I will go somewhere and have lunch or tea.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 8:16am

That sounds fun!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 9:55am

Customs and traditions differ in each country, and sometimes our traditions also change when we've moved to another country, too.

In Indonesia, we would have welcomed you with open arms, whether you were Muslim or not, whether you are practising or not, whether you had fasted or prayed or not. It's an inclusive celebration, as well as the beginning of two to three weeks of renewing and celebrating bonds of kinship and friendship (translate: we're going to have lunches and dinner with different groups of friends.)

I was wondering whether Turkey also has the tradition of asking for forgiveness from family and friends for any mistakes, slights, and actions that might have angered, irritated, saddened, or affected them negatively? Everyone asks for forgiveness, and generally everyone forgives, so we kind of start anew with clean hearts and clean slates.

The last guest left just before 7. The house is clean. Mum is watching a Midsomer Murders rerun, I'm online. All is quiet again.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 10:41am
Not sure about the forgiveness thing I'll ask DH.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 10:50am
Wow, I can't imagine being up that early to make food. If I had to do that my guests might find the food a little less tasty.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 11:45pm

LOL! Yes, I agree!

Our housekeeper had made most of the dishes the day before. I don't cook Indonesian, so she made those. I was amazed how quickly it was done. When everything had cooled down we put them in Ziplock bags (she's now a convert to Ziplock bags LOL), then stored them in the fridge.

The mutton recipe was easy, thankfully. Otherwise, yes, the guests might have gotten something less tasty!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2010 - 4:41am

All I can say is………..Ziplock bags?

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2010 - 4:45am

I usually buy the locally made ones for every day use. I did get the Ziplock ones that go in the microwave to steam food.

If you run out and would like some, let me know.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 2:37am

If there were local ones I’d be happy to use them but sadly no.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 3:28am

I know.

The local ones here are okay - they do the job adequately. Not too flimsy that they rip and most important, cost about half as much

I saw the zip-up sandwich bags. What I'd be more interested in as the reusable, washable sandwich wraps and snack pouches... if I were working outside the home, that is.

Pages