Plugged duct

iVillage Member
Plugged duct
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 2:10pm

Well, it seems each child I end up getting a plugged duct at least. Last one had a nasty bout with mastitis.

I am going with Kelly Mom regarding a plugged duct right now, but I am not noticing any improvement.

The plug is at 1 o'clock and half way between nipple and top of the breast. I have tried massage (ouch), compressions and frequent nursings and still does not seem to be a change.

It has a red patch that is about 1in*1.5in and very painful. I was running a low grade fever yesterday and last night. Today I just seem to have cold sweats, but no fever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to: smackeen
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 2:36pm

Ouch!! That sounds to me like a nasty plug. I'm concerned from the redness, chills and fever that it might be turning into mastitis. It sounds to me like you're doing all the right things to try to work it out especially if you've already read the tips on the kellymom plugged duct page. If you start to feel flu-like symptoms or your fever comes back, I'd definitely suggest seeing a dr.

Feel better!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 6:54pm

I agree with Dana, really

Kathy Kuhn IBCLC ivillage lactation consultant Grammy to Brennan, Elias, Elianna, Tahlia, Makenna, Maura, Silas, and Charlotte

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 7:09pm

Thanks for both of your replies. I have not had a fever since last night, but the red area on the breast is getting bigger.

Chances are I will need to go to a clinic tomorrow to get some meds.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2010 - 6:07pm

Update:

Went to the dr today and was prescribed two weeks of antibiotics. I have to say this is the worst case that I have had through three kids. It is streaking all over the beast, down into the areola too.

All I can say is I hope the meds work soon. I am miserable.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2010 - 7:53pm

Oh no, I'm so sorry you're feeling so poorly. Hopefully a day or two of antibiotics should make a big difference in how you feel. Please make sure to be taking some probiotics at the same time to reduce the risk of thrush. Having thrush at the same time is the last thing you want to be dealing with.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/preventing-thrush.html

Feel better!

Photobucket