Nursing strike/not eating 12 mo - Help!

iVillage Member
Nursing strike/not eating 12 mo - Help!
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 7:58pm

My daughter will be turning 1 next week and she has been a champion nurser before today. I work part time (3 days a week) and on my off days she nurses about 6 times a day plus some solids. She gets 3-4 bottles plus solids when I'm at work.

This morning we woke up as normal, she latched on but then only sucked for 30 seconds, maybe a minute and then tore herself off crying. She really sounded like she was in pain and wouldn't stop for a couple of minutes. She would not go back on after that. She always nurses great right away in the morning. I gave her some Tylenol because I thought maybe it was from teething. I offered the breast again about 30 minutes later. She just looked at my breast but didn't make any moves toward it. So I tried a bottle. She only drank 1 oz. She didn't cry, but she turned her head away and wouldn't open her mouth. Then a little later I tried a cup. She took about 3 oz then. I put her down for a nap after that and she slept 3 hours. I offered the breast again when she woke up, but she was already wide awake, so she didn't want it. I tried giving her milk in a cup again and she only drank 1 oz. She's always hungry after a nap. So at this point it was 1:30pm and she'd had a total of 5 oz all day.

I was finally able to get her to eat some yogurt, drink an ounce of water and about 1.5oz of milk (from a cup). I have tried nursing in a quiet dark room, different position, skin-to-skin, nothing seems to spark an interest. I really want to continue nursing for at least another months, and I keep telling myself that it's just a strike and we'll get back to the way we were in a few days. But there's a small voice in my head wondering if yesterday was the last time I will nurse her.

I have to go back to work tomorrow through Thursday and I will only get a couple of chances to nurse her each day. I'm worried that will just kill my supply and make her not want to nurse anymore. Please help! What can I do? Is there anything else? Will we be able to get it back?

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 9:35pm

((HUGS))!!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 11:02pm
I would guess ear infection too, even if she isn't pulling on her ears. Or you can try a chiropractor--some of my friends have had success with that too.

Loral

Loral