Is this enough?

iVillage Member
Is this enough?
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 10:09am

DD will be 11 months next week. I'd say for about the past 2.5 weeks she's been really slowing down on nursing.

She currently nurses in the a.m.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 9:09pm

If she's gaining and making enough diapers then she's getting enough to eat. She may be less inclined to bf now b/c of a preference for the faster flow from the bottle. Babies who get bottles often develop a preference for the faster flow of the bottle especially as they get older and mom's flow slows (not less milk just a slower flow).

If you want her to bf more/longer, you might try offering a little of the bottle if she wont' take the breast and then switching over to the breast. This works for a lot of babies.

You might also want to bf before the solids so she's not full on solids and takes more from the breast.

It sort of depends on what you'd like to do...what your goal is. But I think the reasoning is that she likely is either full from the solids and/or prefers the faster flow from the bottle or more likely a little of both.

Kathy Kuhn IBCLC ivillage lactation consultant Grammy to Brennan, Elias, Elianna, Tahlia, Makenna, Maura, Silas, and Charlotte

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 10:49pm

Would it be an option to nurse late morning? No nursing from first thing in the morning to 2pm with two solid meals in the middle feels like a lot to me.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 11:36pm

I honestly blame day care. She goes twice a week, 9 -2.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 7:48am

I'm guessing you're not pumping while you're at work? I'm wondering if perhaps your flow is really slow in that midmorning timeframe right now because your body has adjusted to not needing milk then.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 9:33am

With both of my kids I've been a horrible pumper. All pumping does is make me engorged with no output whether I pump 20 minutes or 45 minutes. I have all the sizes of shields and tubes. Compressions. Pictures of the kids. Warm showers beforehand. I have the medela electric double pump n style. When I pump, my breasts get hard and that's about it.

She was EBF for 9 total months and then day care started supplementing with the sippy if she needed it as a meal.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-29-2010 - 4:52am

I would keep offering the breast at home every day, and offer the breast before any solids, as well as more frequently on the days you are home. Even if your breast size has decreased, this does not mean your milk supply has dropped. My breasts were always bigger in the early months than later on, so be reassured that this is normal and not in itself an indication of supply.

If you did offer more often when you are at home, even in the hours when you do work some days, it should help.

What would happen if you did not give her a bottle at all at home? eg in the evening? Do you think that she would then nurse instead? When I worked, I left bottles entirely for while I was at work, and never used them at home. That way, the baby associated bottles with when mum was away, and breasts were for when mum was there. It seemed to work, but if a baby already has a strong bottle preference, it may be difficult to change.

Also, remember that at this age, an active wakeful baby may just want to nurse for a short while in the day, and be off doing things and exploring their world. It is surprising how efficient they can be at nursing and how much they might get in a short session by now.

Teresa