Need new carseats... any recs?

iVillage Member
Need new carseats... any recs?
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 10:06pm

SO needs carseats for his Land Rover for our 25 month old twins (around 25-26 pounds now).

In my car I have the Radians XT, which I am really happy with.
But for his car we need something not as sophisticated (and therefore not as expensive) but just as safe.
What is on the market now that would be recommended?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Lilypie
Lilypie
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 11:30pm

Hello! I recognize you from the multiples board.

I assume your twins are still rear-facing so you need two more convertibles. My first suggestion would be either the Evenflo Triumph 65, Graco MyRide and Complete Air. These seats rf to 40lbs and ff to 65 (ET and GM)

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 9:04am

Thank you for your response, Melanie!
Our kids are now actually forward facing. We took them to Europe shortly before their second birthday, and we just could not fit the seats rear facing in a regular small European car... so they got used to forward facing, and there was no going back. But at least we made it to almost 2!

I am going to check out your recommendations now. SO was looking at the closeout on the Cosco Alpha Omega Elite 3-in-1 Car Seat for $99.99. I wonder how good that one is.

Lilypie
Lilypie
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 10:37am

Too bad you didn't go to Sweden on your trip. Then you could have come back with realy great seats.

Even though it's great that you made it to almost 2 years old rear-facing, I'd strongly recommend putting your twins back rear-facing. Have you seen this one minute video?... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U. It was actually made in Norway, I believe. The studies based on the data from Europe is suggesting that 4 years old should be the minimum age for moving to forward-facing.

I also believe that your twins would be fine rear-facing based both on my own experience and from reading a lot of other stories from parents. Marcus went ff at 2 years in one car seat and stayed rf in our other car seats until 2 1/2 years old. He's top of the charts tall and heavy and hit the rf limit of our seats. Isabelle went ff at 4 in one car and stayed rf in the other car seats until she was 4y4m and hit the limits of our seats. (We have a seat with a 30lb limit which they outgrew sooner.)