How did breastfeeding go for you?

Community Leader
How did breastfeeding go for you?
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 3:06pm

I've never had a c-section, but will very likely have one this time for personal reasons.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 10:25pm

My first two c/s breastfeeding did not go well. Both times babies had respiratory issues bc of the c/s (fluid gets left in baby's lungs sometimes) which turned into pneumonia both times. Fluid is normal and usually results in some time in the nursery on oxygen. I seem to have that "perfect storm" every time and I had two "sorta sick" babies turn into REALLY sick babies...so they were on a ventilator which messed up their suck reflex, etc. SO, it sucked.

My last c/s went much better. The baby was born without fluid, and so I was able to begin nursing her while still in the recovery room. She did perfectly fine. My milk came in less than 72 hours after she was born. Just keep in mind that baby might be a little drowsy due to the pain meds you're one which might make the baby a lazy nurser. Also, look into taking probiotics because antibiotics will kill your good bacteria as well as bad bacteria which increases your risk of thrush/yeast infection while nursing. NOt a huge crisis, but best if you can avoid it...

If you were successful the first 3 times, I see no reason why you would need to do anything different this time to prepare.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 1:18am

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for stopping by to post and congratulations on #4! Do you have any thoughts on what your little surprise might be?

I am currently planning my 4th C section. My firstborn was very sick and never did breastfeed, but I was able to nurse the last two. Everything went great with #2 and I was able to feed immediately after surgery was completed with no problems whatsoever. #3 had some respiratory issues and had to go to NICU, so I was unable to feed her for a few days.

Hopefully your new LO is just fine and breastfeeding is a breeze!

Please keep us posted as things progress for you!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Community Leader
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 9:10am

The whole fluid thing is certainly big and heavy on my mind.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 9:23am

Thank you!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 5:48pm

I labored before my two cesareans. I know that makes some difference and I would like to labor again. My babies nursed about 75 mins after birth. Current baby will not be going to the nursery though, he will stay w/ me and probably nurse sooner. I've never had an issue breastfeeding.

DS had some fluid foam out on his second nursing so they suctioned him again and he was totally fine after that. I had drugs during the labor and he was a very sleepy baby for a few days not wanting to nurse so it took 5 days for my milk to come in.

With DD I had no drugs at all during labor and then just the spinal before the c/s and she came out not sleepy at all. That was nice! She nursed the first 8 hrs almost non stop and my milk was in by 24 hours. Of course like the pp said thrush is always an issue so probiotics right after birth is a must for me.

Community Leader
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 8:30am

Thanks!

With my first he wasn't interested in eating at all until we got home, and that was a horrible wait for the milk to come in.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 12:14pm

I had an unplanned cesarean section after a long, difficult labor (23 hours), and breastfeeding did not go well for us for quite a while. It took two weeks for my milk supply to come in. I didn’t know that this could happen, and those two weeks were so hard. But we’re doing great now! To get my milk to come in, I had to rent a Medela Symphony pump and pump frequently, take fenugreek/blessed thistle/nettle/fennel supplements (More Milk Plus), massage my breasts before and during feedings/pumping, drink more liquids, eat better and get more rest and relax. All of that combined to finally work.

I’ve done a lot of research on breastfeeding after cesarean, and now I know that it can definitely cause challenges. I wish that the lactation consultants at the hospital would have warned me. I think it is wonderful that you are getting information in advance so that you'll be prepared if things don't go as planned. Be sure to get lots of help if anything isn't working--I know that we wouldn't be happily breastfeeding now if I wouldn't have gotten help from lactation consultants and La Leche League.

"Studies show that women whose babies are born by cesarean surgery are just as successful at breastfeeding as mothers who deliver vaginally, as long as their commitment to breastfeeding remains high. It may, however, take a bit longer for mothers and babies to begin breastfeeding after cesarean surgery, and mothers' milk tends to come in a bit later following a surgical birth. This may be a direct result of the surgery, or it may be because mothers who have cesareans have fewer opportunities for early and frequent breastfeeding." (Dr. Sears)
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t021400.asp

"Mothers who have cesarean births (c-sections) may find that nursing immediately after the baby is born is not possible. If the mother is given general anesthesia, she will not be alert enough to handle her baby in the first hour after birth. Even if the mother receives an epidural so that she is awake, abdominal suturing occupies a major portion of that first-hour window of time, and this may make breastfeeding during that time impractical. In addition, the infant may be sleepy and unreceptive to nursing if the mother received pain medications during labor before the surgery. Some studies also suggest that emergency cesarean births can result in delayed milk production (Dewey et al. 2003; Grajeda and Perez-Escamilla 2002; Rowe-Murray Fisher 2002; Hartmann 1987). However, frequent nursing as soon as it is possible after a cesarean birth will help minimize these obstacles if they do exist. It is also reassuring to know that many mothers who have had cesarean births have gone on to have plentiful milk supplies." (La Leche League)
http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug05p142.html