iVillage Member
Repeat c/s procedures
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 10:06am

My 1st son was

Pregnancy%20ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 11:00am

My second one was much easier than my first. My last one (number 3) was the hardest one pain wise, but the pain went away quicker. So, it was more intense, but the pain went away quicker.

Basic procedure (there are variations depending on the hospital)
You'll show up 2 hours prior to surgery where they will draw blood, start an iv, give you iv antibiotics and monitor you and the baby.

Anesthesiologist will come in, go over the anesthesia procedure, ask you if there are questions. Likewise, your ob usually pops in to ask you questions as well.

I've been wheeled into the operating room and have walked in. Either way, you'll go into the operating room and receive your anesthesia. I'm assuming that you'll have a spinal, so you'll sit on the table, the spinal will be inserted, and you'll lay down. They'll put up the sterile drape and start the c/s. They normally make the first incision before they bring in your "support" person because they want to make sure the spinal is really working. (cause if they knock you out, they usually won't let the support person in the room). They'll bring your support person in and he'll sit by your head. My last c/s I didn't have oxygen mask or canula, but you might. My last c/s took the longest bc there was lots of scar tissue..about 30 minutes before they got the baby out. My 2nd took about 10 minutes. I can't remember on my first because I wasn't paying attention to the time when they wheeled me in (they were running late).
Sent to recovery for an hour, they brought the baby to me, and I was able to nurse her in recovery.

My last c/s there was a little bit of a bleeding issue, but even that wasn't too severe. I didn't even come close to needing a transfusion or anything. I got lots of uterine massages, (which is where the pain came in) but I went home 40 hours after the surgery, and I was easily navigating the stairs at home the next day.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 8:30pm

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 11:26pm

The way I've always looked at it is that bleeding issues can happen either way. I've had friends hemorrhage and almost bleed out during a vaginal delivery as well. I calm my nerves by saying "worse case, they do a hysterectomy...no more periods" And they don't take the ovaries out, so no hormone replacement therapy. It might not be an "accurate" worse case scenario (because I can think of worse things) but it's the most "likely" worse case scenario. Of course, I had the benefit of having twins as my first, so any child after them, I was okay with "being done" at 3 or 4 kids.

With the placenta accreta, doctors almost always know ahead of time if it's going to be an issue so you'll usually have some notice that it's going to be an extra hairy surgery. In your case, though, you should be fine.

I was just wondering though, if you've considered a vbac? Just throwing that out there...either way, whatever you choose, I'm sure you've researched both options..

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2010 - 4:51pm

I gave very serious consideration to a VBAC.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2010 - 8:17pm

Completely understandable why you would choose a c/s over a vbac! I hope your c/s goes well..and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 12:14am

Congrats on your new little guy and your upcoming C section! How exciting that it's happening so soon!

It looks like you got some great input from Sarah...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 10:21am
I've had no bleeding issues during pregnancy at all, thank goodness.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 12:27pm

My 2nd was much easier than my first...My 3rd, the first 48 hours were the worst I've ever experienced from a c/s...but after that, it was way easier than my other ones.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 3:18pm

My second c/s was a lot easier. I didn't have all the labor drugs (pitocin, epidural, IV fluids for many hours etc) in my system, and the birth was much more gentle than my first c/s (different OB, smaller baby) and possibly could have had single layer suture which provides a better recovery. You might also ask about using stitches for the skin closure for a better recovery. I was able to have juice/sprite right after surgery and they let me eat not long after that to get my energy back right away. I had far less bleeding with #2. I nursed a lot more so that probably helped. Being prepared for the surgery probably makes it easier for most people I imagine.

Just like the previous posters I walked in, got my spinal and they prepped me for a few mins while it took effect. DH came in and the baby was born just a few minutes later. They took about 20 mins to sew me up and then another 45 waiting in the OR for recovery period. Then I finally got back to my room and the baby was brought to me. Definitely want to avoid sending the baby to the nursery this time and keep him with me in the OR instead.

The post surgery pain meds they tried with me didn't work so I suggest coming in knowing what you want/what worked for you last time.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 3:16am

I had a second section just last month and it happened because I wanted to try a vbac. I ended up going into labor and into the hospital where doc said the same thing as the first time around. That boys head just isn't going to come down. During my first I didn't do any research about sections so it was painful, depressing, sad, confusing, and a very negative experience. This time I knew what to expect and how to recover. I knew what would be asked of me.

The part I hated most was the catheter (sp?) since last time I was somewhat numb, this time I wasn't. I was rolled on the bed into the surgery room, sat up and had a spinal block, (my first was an unsucessful epidural so they put me under general) and laid back. I had some nervousness being awake but when I heard that cry all I wanted to do was see him and hold him and forget what the doc was doing.

I fell asleep in the recovery room. the morphine kicked in and I wasn't in much pain. The nurse had me out of bed about five hours later. During my first section I didn't get out of be for almost a full day, probably 15 hours. I felt so much better moving aroun and having the baby in room. I was better emotionally. Being prepared is the key. Knowing what to expect and even knowing that the unexpected is a possiblity is also important. Recovery so far has been much better. Take the prescriptions every time they are due and it will go so much faster. Sleep as much as possible and don't overdo it during the first two weeks. Just get as much rest as possible for those first two weeks then after that you will be fine. Good luck

Ashley

Baby 2 will be here August 22, 2010!

Ashley

Baby 2 will be here August 22, 2010!

Pages