How many OBs attend C/S?

iVillage Member
How many OBs attend C/S?
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 1:40am
I called to schedule my c-section today and they told me both my primary OB and another OB at the practice were scheduled to attend. Is that typical to have more than 1 OB attend a c-section?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers >

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 1:27pm

Hi Christy,

Congrats on scheduling and your new baby! :)

There are typically at least 2 docs in the room - at my hosptial, it seems that it's typically an OB resident. Your doctor will be "in charge" and the second doc is a second set of hands that is there to support the procedure. I've always had at least 3 docs in the room (My doc, the second, and the anestiologist) and then 1 or 2 nurses. There can also be additional docs from neonatal medicine if you're high risk or have any reason for baby to be seen by a physician in the first few moments post birth.

G/L with you section! When are you scheduled? My date is 11/12/10, so I think you're going to be before me!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 2:13pm

Thanks that's good to know. I am high risk but it's due to a mis-shapen uterus. The baby's biggest problem that we know of is clubfoot and some other postural issues that they think are caused by uterine condititions. Unfortunately, we can't rule out neurological disorders until she's her but I am banking on her being okay.

My date is 10/12..coming soon:-)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers >

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-23-2010 - 9:25am

There were two OBs with my first c/s. Low risk, uncomplicated. It must be their usual protocol.

Best wishes on your birth!