C/S after previous traumatic vag birth?

iVillage Member
C/S after previous traumatic vag birth?
Mon, 09-27-2010 - 10:08pm

Hi. My name is Michele. I have 2 children; DS is 3 and DD is 1.

I am here because though I am not yet pregnant, I know DH and I will start TTC #3 in a year or so, and the decision of opting for another vaginal delivery or elective c/s is weighing heavily on my mind lately.

Here is my situation:

For my 1st child I had a cesarean after a failed induction. With #2, I planned a VBAC at home. Everything went well until the end when there was a shoulder dystocia. DD was stuck for 4 mins., and was essentially torn out of me. She needed resuscitation, and had a brachial plexus injury (which resolved on it's own in a few weeks). Her apgars were 3 and 7. We transferred to the hospital so we could both be checked out. She was okay (minus the shoulder injury at the time) and

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-30-2010 - 6:01pm

Hi Michele -

Wow, sounds like you've had quite the birth experiences. I can't say that I've had a tramatic vaginal birth -- I tried to have natural unmedicated births with my first two... both births ended in C section after LONG (4 hour) pushing phases and no baby... so I've opted for C sections since - my last was scheduled and I'm planning my 4th for 11/12/10.

In terms of your decision, I'm curious if you were medicated with your home VBAC? I wonder if perhaps you consider trying a hospital birth with an epi? That might take the pain out of it and if baby is in trouble or too large you are in the right place where they can rush you to surgery? The other thing is that if you find the right provider and share your experiences they will probably be able to monitor you and the baby's size so that you can make the ultimate decision of C section vs. vaginal labor towards the end of your pregnancy.

G/L with your decision. I hope someone pops up soon who can share their similar experiences...

Photobucket