Suggestions on going to 3#?

iVillage Member
Suggestions on going to 3#?
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 11:33am
Hi everyone! So now that we are back from our vacation and my son turned 10 months I really want to drop to 3 pumps a day. At 4# I still make around 45-50 oz, and my son pretty much tops off at 30. I do donate my freezer stash, but my donor baby girl is drinking less and less milk (she's a little older then my son). So my freezer is overflowing with milk most of the time (it's quite small), and I don't like rotating. Plus I'm just very tired from never sleeping enough. I could never go more then 7 hours without pumping at absolute maximum even at night. So I still get up at 5 or 5:30 am to pump (depending on how late I pumped at night), and my son doesn't sleep longer then 8 am most nights. I guess I'm just tired of being tied up to that pump so much. So my question is how to make the transition easier? When I dropped before it was always pretty much cold turkey. I just dropped one session and spread out the rest of them evenly. It worked out fine, my girls adjusted pretty fast. But I'm not sure if that is the best way to go when dropping to 3. Also, I'm not sure how long I should pump for each time at 3. Now I pump for 40 min each time. Last 10 is almost nothing coming out, but I want to make sure I'm completely empty, since I'm very prone to clogs. But honestly it's hard to imagen pumping longer then 40 min at once. It seems it would be quite painful...so what are your suggestions ladies? What worked best for you?
Forgot to mention- my goal as of now is to pump long enough to transfer my son to cow's milk without having to give formula.
Thanks so much in advance!

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 1:04pm
You are making close to what I made at 4x about 50. I think you would be fine at 40 min each pump with 3. I just merged my 12:00 and 5:00 pumps together. I didn't have much of a problem. I find it easiest to go a long stretch at night b/c I don't feel the engorgement as much when asleep. I would try and push your morning pump to around 7 and then merge the other 2 day pumps together. When I first started out at 3x I did 7 a.m., 3 p.m., 11;00 p.m. Now I have stretched my night to 11 hours (preparing to drop to 2) I have been doing 9a.m., 4:00, 10:00 for 2 months now. I am flexible with the middle pump. I lost about 5-10 ounces at first and now have lost more b/c I only pump 2x a few days a week.
Good luck 3x is so much easier than 4x.
Mom to 4 sweet blessings. 5,4, 2, and 8 months.
Mom to 4 sweet blessings. 6,5, 3, and 16 months.
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 3:12pm
Oh, that would be sooo nice if I could do it! So far 7 hours of non interrupted sleep is all I ever got! But even then I get so engorged it's hard to imagine going longer then that...I'm trying to make it longer at night, little by little. Also, did you do anything to prevent clogs at this point? And is what you make still enough for your LO?
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 8:59pm

I haven't had any problem with clogs since pumping...I have problems with clogs like crazy when I nurse b/c I never get fully emptied. As long as I empty I haven't had a problem. I have heard some women take letchin to help?

I am pumping about 35-40 ounces a day and lo eats about 35 so I am making just enough. He is not on any solids though so I think when I start that his milk intake will decrease some. I freeze a few bags a week and use a few of the oldest freezer milk to keep my stash rotating. That way when I wean I will still have good milk in the freezer to use. This way he still gets mostly fresh as well.

You might loose a few ounces in the a.m. if you are already filling to capacity after 7 hours, but you never know until you try it. I have a high capacity so that may be why I can go so long?

Let me know how it goes.

Mom to 4 sweet blessings. 5,4, 2, and 8 months.
Mom to 4 sweet blessings. 6,5, 3, and 16 months.
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 7:27am

You are more likely ready to go to 3x with your 10 month old. :)

I would be leary of dropping the early morning pump though.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 12:26pm
Oh, so you still pump at 5:30... I was actually working on going a longer stretch at night, so the intervals between other pumps would not be so long when I do drop to 3#. So far only got to 6:30, and that still is very uncomfortable...so may I ask what your schedule is at 3#? How many hours do you go between each pump? I'm just worried that if it's too long I will get too engorged (I'm pretty small chested, so I guess that adds to me not being able to go long without pumping)...plus I'm a SAHM for now, so it would be nice to sleep that long without getting up to pump, since I don't have to get up to go to work:)))
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 1:17pm

My 3 pumps are

5:30am; noon; 8pm

Right now I think I'm working towards dropping the noon pump, so I've been upping it to 1pm.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 2:32pm
Thanks so much! I see what you are doing now-it would be very similar to what I want to do (i mean interval vise)if I get up to pump at 7am, since at night I don't pump till 10 o'clock...I guess our babies are about the same age:)
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 10:08pm

Yes, we've been going at this for about the same length of time. :)

My little ones birthday is 11/2.

Are you definately stopping on the one year mark?

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 10:36pm
Actually, definitely not:) I'm planning to go as long as I can handle it, at least as of now. I will probably have to come back to work in the next few months, so i will have to see how that will go. But so far I think if I drop to 3 and later to 2 it's pretty manageable. And still so beneficial for our LOs, it's totally worth it! What about you?
My son's birthday is 11/13
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 6:58am

I'm conflicted.

Initially, my personal goal was to get him through the first year.

Pages