Keep getting cracks...what to do?!

iVillage Member
Keep getting cracks...what to do?!
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 10:43pm
Hi all lovely ladies! So I've been having this problem for a few months. It's not huge, but getting annoying: I always have cracks in my nipples and at some point it gets very painful to pump. Here is some info so you get a full picture, and may be some of you might have any idea on why it's happening.
I was using a rented Ameda hospital grade pump for about 7 months. So at that time i was at 4# and 40 min every session. I didn't really have this problem then, I mean not to that point. Then I got a really bad round of clogs, I mean really bad! At some point I figured out it was something wrong with the pump, it didn't empty me properly. At the same time I got handed down a PISA. So I returned my rented pump and just started working on getting back to normal with PISA. I got rid of all the clogs, and then worked on getting my supply back for awhile, since I lost almost half of it. Added extra pumps in, power pumped, all that...so finally when I was back at 4# I started having this problem with cracks. I even went to the doctor and got a prescription for APNO, when I couldn't handle pumping anymore. The cream helped pretty quickly, my nips seemed to heal. But now, just a couple weeks later it's happening again! It hurts so much to pump! I just can't figure out why. I use olive oil while pumping. I use lanolin after I'm done. My pump is on the lowest suction. The shields fit perfectly, just like they did before.The only thing that comes to mind is that I'm just pumping for too long. I still pump for 40 min, just like I used to with the Ameda pump. But it seems that PISA is emptying me much faster and last 10 min I'm pumping completely dry most of the time. But I'm scared to cut down on pumping time, since that might decrease my supply...so what do you ladies think? Does anything come to mind?
Thanks in advance for your input...
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 7:09am

I would venture to say to cut out some minutes.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 2:41pm
As you know from my other post (thanks for answering :))) I'm working towards dropping to 3 pumps. So when I do I would have to pump for at least 40 min to empty, since I'll be going longer stretches... So what can I do to prevent getting cracks? I'm using the APNO right now again, but I know you can't use it constantly, since it contains steroids...
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 10:13pm

Maybe you won't need the 40 minutes to empty out.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 2:14pm

totally agree with pp, as time goes on your body get faster at emptying out and you likely won't need to go 40 minutes, I'd try to work your way down to 35 minutes taking off a few minutes here and there and track your output. YOu really don't need to pump more than 5 minutes past empty. If you ease into everything you can always go back if something causes a sudden drop.

Also do you use the hydrogel packs? Medela makes them, and I get mine from target. They were amazing for my nipples. I put them in the fridge to cool while I pumped and then popped them in my bra when I was done for about 30-60 minutes.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 8:57am

Former eper here - who battled persistent cracking when pumping, and just finished healing after almost 6mths of cracks with ds, who is nursing.

Cracks, even by themselves can be a sign of thrush. my cracks only ever healed when I was on difulcan - dd & ds never showed any symptoms of thrush either... I never had red or itchy nipples, just cracks and pain during pumping/nursing.

I'm a natural carrier of candida - so when I pump or nurse I get an out break.

You might want to try some diflucan to see if that helps? pumping/nursing shouldn't be painful if either are something is wrong?

also one thing I noticed during my eping days was the longer I pumped I kept having to up the size of the horns for comfort...

gigi

CHECK OUT MY BLOG:
http://sunvalleysoul.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 4:53pm
What are hydrogel packs? What do they do? I've never heard of them, but if they help, I might try..
I doubt that I have thrush right now (although for sure had it in the beginning of my EPing journey). It used to feel very different when I had it, my nipples were super itchy and I had shooting pain in my breasts all the time. But my son never got it too... Plus, I did see a doctor with this problem when it got really bad, and he examined my breasts. Wouldn't he know if I needed some medication? I did try a bigger size horns, but then I don't get enough stimulation, so no letdown...
Anyway, I'm dropping to 3# in the next couple of days and may be it will get better with less frequent pumping. If not I'll have to go back to that doc and ask for something else..
Thank you ladies for your suggestions and support!