Making your own baby food?

iVillage Member
Making your own baby food?
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 12:36pm

Does anyone make their own baby food? I am hoping to this time around. I have some jars of baby food that I got at my baby shower. I bought a case at Sam's Club so that I would have enough jars to test the food out on him. I read that you should give your baby the same food for at least 4 days in a row to see if they have an allergy to that food. I don't know if that is right or not. But it sounds like a good idea. So now I have just enough baby food in jars to test the basics like peas, green beans, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes and bananas.

I can reuse the jars from the store bought baby food. I also bought a couple of sets of plastic containers for storing baby food. They are microwave, dishwasher and freezer safe. They have screw on lids which I read while doing my research is a huge plus over the snap lids.

I have a food processor that I use to make salsa. We also have one of those magic bullets that we got for our wedding. Usually the only thing that thing makes is margaritas. But it will work very well for baby food too I hear. HA HA HA

I plan on using breast milk while making my baby food to give it that little extra boost of nutrition. Plus it is free and I can get it fresh from the tap. HA! I also have some carrots that I grew over the summer that I am looking forward to making into baby food for Wyatt.

So does anybody have any tips for me? Where do you get your vegetables from to make baby food? Do you use fresh veggies from the grocery store? From your own garden? Farmers market? Does anyone use frozen veggies? Any ideas that you might have to make this easier would be great.

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 3:14pm

i atempted to do that when Piper was starting to eat. I made sweet potatoes for myself for dinner and scooped out some for her before i seasoned them, added some formula, and smooshed it up and made it thin and smooth. and she threw it and everything else up. sigh... SO... i got a little nervous and did not try it again until she was much bigger.

I hear the magic bullet is fabulous for doing it tho. that seemed to be the favorite tool with all the food makin mamas on my ec:) they seemed to all be either growing their own, or getting them fresh from the store or market.

i don't see anything wrong with frozen. especially since we are coming up on the fall/winter and the fresh ones from the store are not going to be as fresh as the frozen really

you sure sound like you are set in the storage dept:) just need an ice cube tray or two and you are good to go!! hopefully i will get over my fear this time and i can hit u up for recipes in a few months:)!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

>

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers