If I have a third period ...

iVillage Member
If I have a third period ...
Thu, 09-30-2010 - 11:53am

If I have a third period my breast milk supply is going to completely dry up! I am so frustrated! After Wyatt was born I was easily pumping 32 ounces of milk a day. I got my first post baby period and my supply dropped 10 ounces. I was maintaining 22 ounces a day. That was just behind the 20-25 ounces that Wyatt was drinking a day. I have exhausted my freezer supply keeping Wyatt fed on just breast milk. Well I am on the verge of my second post baby period and this week I dropped another 10 ounces again. I am pumping between 10-13 ounces this week. We ran out of breast milk and have had to supplement with formula the last couple of days. So at the moment Wyatt gets half breast milk and half formula a day. I am afraid if I have one more period my milk will completely dry up!

I have tried everything that people have recommended and all the things I have read since the first drop in supply. I am making sure to stay well hydrated but not to hydrated. I am eating oats until they are coming out of my ears. Oatmeal, oatmeal cookies (recommended in my exclusively pumping book) and granola bars with oats in them. I have tried putting heating pads on my boobs before pumping. It hasn't helped. I tried the Mother's Milk tea with out any luck. I still have some though. I am taking a combination of fenugreek and blessed thistle. I smell like maple all the time! It smells like a maple candy factory when we have sex! UGH! I usually pump every 4 hours but this week I have switched to pumping every 2 hours. Half the time nothing but a swallows worth comes out. When I do get milk to come out it is roughly half of what it used to be per pump. Like if it had been 4 hours since I last pumped then I would get 4 ounces. Now I am lucky if I can drag 2 ounces out after 4 hours. I have been pumping overnight this week for the first time ever. I try to make sure I get enough sleep but Wyatt is still waking at least once at night so it doesn't always happen. I refuse to give up until I literally can't do it anymore. I feel like I am at the mercy of my very cranky boobs and there is nothing I can do.

Wyatt has his 4 month check up next week. I plan to ask his doctor about it then. Maybe he can either give me an idea on something else I haven't tried or I don't know ... something. I keep trying to remind myself that Bryan ate formula and he is perfectly healthy and happy. So if my milk does dry up and we are forced to switch to completely formula it's not a big deal. But I made the decision to switch to formula with Bryan. I made the decision to breast milk feed Wyatt and that option is being taken away against my will. That is the part that is upsetting me. Not the formula but the lack of choice. I am trying desperately not to see it as a failure on my part. I am truly trying. I can't ask more then that from myself. But I still feel miserable about it. *sigh* Hopefully something changes soon and I won't dry up completely.

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-30-2010 - 4:08pm
It sounds like you are doing everything right but maybe you are doing to much. When my ods was in the NICU I had such a hard time getting milk because I was so stressed. Once he came home and I learned to relax while pumping the milk flowed. I recommend setting up a quiet dark place to pump. Someplace where you can completely relax. In addition I recommend covering up the bottles as you pump. The more you see nothing the more you will stress which will decrease milk supply. Try using a warm compress and then doing a massage prior to pumping. If you are pumping both sides at once try just doing one at a time. It takes longer but for some reason I could get more if I did one at a time. Also when AF comes your way are you taking anything for pain or cramps if you can avoid any pain relievers then that will help. Also calories are a big importance along with fluids. I know it is so much easier to say relax than it is to do it. Maybe a song playlist on your ipod will help.
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-30-2010 - 3:43pm

ok, i have to get the maple syrup factory giggle out of the way:)!!

ahh.. ok :)what a visual i had

anyway- i am so sorry you are having so many issues!! other than the oats and tea i really dont know. i had an epic fail bf, so i am only speaking from what i picked up reading other posts.

i hope some of our nursing mamas can give you some advice and your doc can get you back into gear.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

>

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers