need some help....

iVillage Member
need some help....
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 11:47am

Ok, You ladies seem to know your stuff, And I thought I did, Until I tried to come up with a menu for 6 people for cheap.

Here's the delimma, Our food budget is not what we are used to.

My Siggy
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 12:35pm

~Spaghetti with meat sauce and whatever veggies they like
~Hot dogs with mac-n-cheese and whatever veggies they like
~Loaded baked potatoes: baked potatoes topped with meat (chicken or ground beef/turkey or ham is good), cheese, and veggies (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, etc.) with another veggie on the side

Hope these suggestions help.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 1:35pm

You can do it!

Chili(add extra tomatoes and beans to make it stretch) and cornbread with a salad

Baked ziti, garlic bread, salad

homemade pizza, salad (we like this recipe-quick and easy) http://moneysavingmom.com/2009/02/homemade-pizza-in-less-than-30-minutes-needs-editing.html

We liked some of these recipes for beans too:
http://moneysavingmom.com/2009/10/how-to-live-on-beans-and-rice-for-a-week.html

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 1:53pm
I do a lot of casseroles. That stretches the meat. Chili is also another thing I do. Spaghetti I do with a little ground Italian sausage,onions, green peppers or whatever else such as mushrooms I have on hand. That always stretches to feed a whole family. I usually have leftovers. That someone will eat for lunch the next day. I do beef stew or stroganoff. I've done hamburger stroganoff over noodles. Ground beef is cheaper than stew meat. I can make that stretch. Sometimes I will add some peas to it. Or we just have some other veggie on the side. Stir fry is good. I will add more veggies than meat to mine. Then serve over rice makes it stretch good. Friday I did spaghetti squash. I did it lasagne style as the recipe called it. I cooked the squash. Scooped it out of the skin. Put in a bowl. Had a small eggplant I diced it up with some thin sliced onion. Sauteed that in a pan till cooked. Added some fresh chopped garlic and chopped fresh basil. Add the eggplant onion mix to the squash. Combined thoroughly. Put a little marinara sauce on bottom of a casserole dish. Then some of the squash mix, Some shredded Italian blend cheese. A little sauce. Then squash. Kept doing that till squash was on top. Covered top with sauce and cheese. Baked covered about 45 minutes or so. Till cheese was melted and everything cooked through. Served it with garlic bread and cantelope. This meal had no meat in it. But was very good and filling. It's a keeper for the meatless Fridays of Lent. Staple non parishable items are much cheaper at Aldi's or by me Woodman's Market. I will got to either of them stores load up on staple items. Which I did that Friday.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 4:05pm

Oh have you tried Hillbilly Housewife. They got some real cheap frugal recipes. I get some ideas from there. Someone else here hooked me up with that site.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/category/recipes

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 8:09am
You can do spaghetti, beef strognoff, black beans and rice, chicken and rice, soup is a good one too.
Susan, mom to Sam
Susan, mom to Sam 11 and Connor 9
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2010 - 10:27pm

Chicken taco soup (serve with cornbread, breadsticks, etc.) I will post recipes under recipe section)

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 3:16pm

Here is a blog that I follow, she has some great ideas and ways to get companies to send you coupons.

http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com/

When we need to cut back we eat lots of rice with things mixed in. Rice w/ mixed veggies, rice w/ beans or chili, rice w/butter and cheese, rice with gravy and etc.

Nancy

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 7:53pm

TACOS!

Beef tacos. Keep it budget friendly buy frying up your own

siiy 2009