My .98 cent whole chicken!

iVillage Member
My .98 cent whole chicken!
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 4:40pm

Back in June, one of my local supermarkets had a special on whole chickens. They were drastically reduced (from $10 to like $3), and then because they were all within a couple of days of the "sell by" date, they put an additional $2 off coupon on each bird! All I can figure is that someone must have over ordered whole chickens, lol.

Anyway, since only 3 of us are meat eaters, I don't need to buy large birds. I searched around and found 3 small chickens, that with the $2 off coupon, came to under a dollar each! We ate one that night, and I put 2 in the freezer.

Tonight is .98 cent chicken night! I am boiling it in a pot with herbs and veggies, that way I will also get some nice broth out of it! I figure the chicken will cover at least 2 meals for the 3 of us! Not bad for less than a buck!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 11:28pm
Wow that's cheap birds. Sometimes Dollar Tree by us. They will do Tyson Chicken thighs for 1$. You get 3 thighs in each package. If you like the thigh meat. It's a good deal. For me that's enough to simmer for a pot soup. It's enough for 2 or 3 of us. I prefer to serve more potatoes or other starch and veggies with the meal. That makes the meat stretch. Since that is the most expensive part of my food shopping.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-23-2010 - 7:37am
Why do I NEVER find meat prices like that??? WTG on your resourcefulness in stretching one for a
Kelly