OT- PTA for dads....

iVillage Member
OT- PTA for dads....
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 11:14am

One of the reason's we've liked DS's school is the presence of males on campus. There are 4 great male teachers which is a rarity in elementary education these days. We got a notice yesterday that they are starting a "dad's branch" of the PTA. It's a group specifically for dads to organize male-centric activities on campus... bike clubs, lunch sports leagues, father/child PTA events, ect.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 9:10pm

In our area, the PTA meetings are right after school and the vast majority of dads work full time.

I have nothing against dads. Perhaps the reason I didn't have the same opinion as many is that where we live, there really is nothing to prevent dads from working with the PTA as it stands,which they do. Our meetings have always been in the evenings, dads have long been actively involved, and there are lots of activities for those, like Turtletime, who enjoy the stereotypically "boys" activities (we have basketball nights and other things that draw more boys, but in general, our activities are more "whole family" oriented- like game night, family fun night, dinner out together, etc...).

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 8:30pm

In our area, the PTA meetings are right after school and the vast majority of dads work full time. So they are cut out of PTA organizational stuff. They do help with all of the activities that are in the evening/weekend b/c their wives clue them in and sign them up.

It would be wonderful to have a dad's group that meets in the evening and organizes activities themselves. I think men want to be involved just logistics doesn't always work in their favor.

Since sports are such a big deal in our community I think that is where the men tend to help out.

Of course, I live in the midwest in a small city, quiet a few moms still stay at home or work only part time (me included).

Cathie mom to Audrey & Emily 12 yrs, Libby 2 yrs
Cathie, mom to Audrey & Emily 12 yrs, Libby 2 yrs
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 2:08pm

I think you may be thinking to far in extremes. The dad's are still part of the PTA. They are

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 12:19pm

We got a notice yesterday that they are starting a "dad's branch" of the PTA. It's a group specifically for dads to organize male-centric activities on campus... bike clubs, lunch sports leagues, father/child PTA events

I have mixed feelings, to be honest. I definitely see benefits, but I also don't feel as unreservedly enthusiastic as some who have replied. I like the idea of a PTA for all- and our PTA *does* have males - we've had at least one

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 4:44pm

I think it's fabulous.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 2:56pm

What an INCREDIBLE FANTASTIC idea.