What do you wish the school knew...

iVillage Member
What do you wish the school knew...
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 2:51pm

...about your child?

Every student is unique and, as parents, I'm sure we'd all love to walk our student into school on the first day and explain to all of her teachers how she learns, what motivates her, and what bores her to tears (or trouble).

If you had the opportunity to sit down and explain every nuance, what would you want the school to know about your gifted child?

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 3:19pm

I'd love for every educator to understand that there is a difference between high achievers and giftedness, and you can be one without the other.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 8:19pm

In DD's case, I wish the educators realized that sometimes gifted kids seem like "just high achievers."

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 9:15am

That's a big one.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 9:33am

I would like them to realize that under challenging a GC can lead to chronic under-achievement and lack of motivation and in essence a lack of performance.

They need to understand there is a difference between GC and the regular student body just as their is a difference between between those on the other end of the spectrum and the general student body. A lot of GC learn differently than the rest of their peers.

Teacher should not feel threatened by GC or assume they are too smart for their own good. Telling a teacher your child is gifted (especially in states where there is no gifted education) should not be taken by the teacher as a shot at their teaching ability.

Teachers also realize that GC develop very asynchronously.

Photobucket

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 5:08pm

I'd like them to know that they should abandon any 'age-thinking' in case of my daughter Y, as in 'at this age they should do A and B, not Y and Z etc.' Y can be acting like a 20 yr old one minute and as a 'regular' 10 yr old a minute later. But I have to say her new school seems to catch on already...

And I'd like them to know that L is a creative, not reproductive highly gifted child. Meaning she's not the type to learn things by heart easily or readily, but she's the one to make new, unexpected links between bits of information, find new solutions etc etc. They have to look beyond the obvious school achievements in her case... TG she's a serious child, working consciously, otherwise she would fool everybody ;-)

Suzanne
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 11:38am

Our local schools definitely do not care. Even the district GT program coordinator, I knew her personally, is definitely someone of low IQ and arrogant. She is clueless. The gifted program was a joke. No matter what they know about our children, out local district really would not care at all.

I would like to see all GT teachers to have to pass a minimum IQ test.