testing?

iVillage Member
testing?
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 6:15pm

Hi all,

I have a question about how I should handle something regarding DD testing for the gifted program.

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
In reply to: kennicole
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 12:02am

The test that she took, was it an achievement test? If not, it shouldn't matter when in the year she took it. Ability tests judge based on exact age.

Consider there is a lot you can do without scores. You can advocate for in-class differentiation based on proven achievement in class. This might be enough to keep her until next testing window. If it's any consolation, my DD wasn't tested until 12 and in 8th grade! She got all sorts of accomodations based on the staff just knowing her and how she worked. If they won't reconsider, just move on with differentiation and see how that goes.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 12:05am
Thanks. It was the Terra Nova Basic Battery test. Have you heard of it?
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 2:16am

That's an achievement test, which, if it's the necessary first hurdle in qualifying for GATE is a misguided approach. It will miss a lot of the kids who would really benefit from gifted programming. Could you pursue actual IQ testing privately if the school won't do it?

Miranda

Miranda
in rural BC, Canada
mom to three great kids and one great grown-up
unschooler, violist, runner, doc 

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 9:23am

It's achievement and not appropriate for entry into a gifted program. Not all children have been exposed to the same academics especially in 1st grade. Not all are neccessarily advanced academically... especially all around. This would be a test

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 9:38am

I just got off the phone with the school. The lady in charge of testing accidentally sent the Kindergarten permission slip form. They only needed the 95 in one section in Kindergarten. Incidentally, she missed the cutoff for Public school Kindergarten by 10 days and no amount of testing would allow her in so we sent her to a private K and tarnsferred her into 1st at the public school this year. I inquired about the gifted program last year (because kids that live in the area, no matter where they go to school can be a part of it), but they said she wasn't able to test for it since she wasn't old enough. Towards the end of kindergarten, the school tested her reading readiness and she was already reading at an end of 1st grade level so I know she would have qualified .

I assume they have a great gifted program for a number of reasons. The district and the school just received accolades. And the entire lower floor of the school is dedicated to their LEAP and PEGS programs. LEAP is the general gifted pull out program. PEGS is the full time class for profoundly gifted kids. Kids come from all over the metro area to attend the classes, if they qualify.

The lady I talked to is going to check with the head to see if they can test her again next year rather than making her wait 2 more years. I'm ok with that I think.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 10:18am

Well, I'm happy with how things turned out.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 7:19pm

I have no problem waiting 6 months to test again considering I thought it wouldn't be for 2 more years!

Is it cheating if I show DD some end of 1st grade, early 2nd grade math to help her prepare?