Hello~Discouraged Newbie..

iVillage Member
Hello~Discouraged Newbie..
Thu, 09-30-2010 - 9:18pm
Hello ladies. I've lurked a bit here in the past to present. My name is Scarlett I'm 26 an my dh is 33. I've been on the DTT board for almost 3yrs, an we have been ttx our 1st since Jan of this year. We recently had an sA done for my dh, as per his urologist request. We just got the results back this Tues. We thought we were passing w/ flying colors until the dr said..."BUT", I guess dh's form are not good. He said they liked them to be at-least 30%, my dh's were @ 12. It was like a punch in the gut. Basically the "deformed" sperm could/ probably are stopping the very few good swimmers. They told us they'd like to do an u/s to see if he had a varicose vein wrapped around his left testicle. They said if it was, they would do surgery to remove it, but it was no guarantee to fix the form. They said we could go w/ AI. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Has anyone else had this problem? We really would like to have a 2nd SA done, dh admittedly was sick w/ a sinus infextion when we had the sample taken. Anyways I'm wanted to inro myself and say hello an begin this process with women who know exactly where I'm coming from. Anyways I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketTTC Babydust Blinkie Pictures, Images and PhotosISO 9001 TrainingTTC BlinkiesPhotobucketttc Pictures, Images and Photosttc blinkies Pictures, Images and Photos

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Thank u to crystal_voice for the beautiful blinkies!

1000.jpg image by christakpDTTknockdh.gif image by christakp

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2823c2

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 10:43am

Welcome to the board. As always, I'm sorry that anyone has to join us here, as dealing with IF is such a difficult thing...but you've found a great place to get support. The ladies on this board are wonderful - and I really hope that you find some of the answers you are looking for here.

My situation was not exactly the same, but we were dealing with male factor infertility - so I've been down that road. I just wanted to let you know that there are many women on this board that have been able to get their BFP while dealing with their DH's low counts, low motility, etc. So please don't give up hope. The surgery to repair Varicocele has pretty good success rates from what I've read...so this may make a big difference for you!

You mention the possibility of doing AI - do you know if they are talking about IUI? If so, there are lots of us here with experience with IUI. We can answer any questions you have about that procedure. We've seen lots of BFPs and babies born through IUI here. I had a successful IUI myself - and certainly would be happy to share my experience with you. It's a very easy procedure (for me, it was no worse than a pap smear).

All that being said - I would certainly recommend doing AT LEAST one more SA. The difference from one to another can be very large. It's always a good thing to have more than one to be sure you didn't just get a bad sample from an "off" day.

I hope you get the assistance you need and best of luck to you!

Leslie

Finally pregnant with our first with the help of Donor Sperm and IUI after 3 years of TTC!!

Due Date: March 3, 2011

Grow Baby Grow

Leslie Finally welcomed baby Stella on 2/25/2011 after 3+ years of TTC!
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 11:32am

Hi Scarlett- I'm sorry you are finding TTC to be so difficult, but hopefully this board will give you some support and advice. I would definitely do a second SA and if they recommend the surgery after that, I would have my partner do it. I'm not sure why you are worried about IUI, unless they were talking about using donor sperm since that is a more difficult issue to discuss and come to terms with. I was supposed to move on to IUI if I didn't get pg my last cycle because my partner' count was fine but motility was a bit low. Apparently it wasn't too low because we did get pg, but that was after the dr had him on an antibiotic and some supplements to try to help with the motility issue. But IUI wasn't too much of a concern to me, probably because so many women on this board have gone through it and made it less scary.

Anyway, my best advice is to keep working with the drs to see what they think and follow what feels right for you and DH. Baby dust to you!

Andrea

Lilypie Maternity tickers

May Baby

Thanks to Chrissy at SMFB for my awesome sig

Photobucket

Photobucket
Lilypie Maternity tickers

May Baby

<
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 11:59am
Thankyou so much for the welcome.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 1:29pm

Hi Scarlett,

I'm sorry you have to be here and are having a difficult time processing all the new information you've been given.

Tamar

TTC #1 since Feb '09 with Unexplained Infertility: SA's all ok; b/w and HSG ok; Lap Mar '10 - mild endo on outside of right tube/uterus removed but not considered eno

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 1:40pm

Welcome to the boards, though I am sorry that you have to be joining us here.

Kelly (31) DH (32) TTC Since June 2009 August 2007 - Myomectomy - removed large fibroid on back of uterus January 2010 - HSG reveals "possible" blocked left tube March 2010 - First RE visit (PCOS secondary to CAH diagnosed) April 2010 - October 2010
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 2:29pm
Tamar & Kelly, thankyou so much for sharing your IUI's and history with me! I can't tell you all how much comfort you have already brought me! ;) I've been a bawl baby the past two days with the faucet in free fall at even the thought of the situation. :) Silly, yes I know, I can be a bit dramatic. Just being here and hearing your stories and being in company of others going thru it and knowing all about it is beyond comforting to me! You all have almost taken the fear away from the whole situation.. so thankyou!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 5:17pm
Hi Scarlett - Welcome!
My DH does not have a MFI problem but I do have LOTS of experience with IUIs. I've been through 6 cycles, all using different meds and different combinations of meds. The first one was a bit scary but they really aren't painful or difficult. It's basically like getting a PAP done, only it take a little bit longer because they have to inject the washed sample. Sometimes I've had some light cramping as they are injecting the sample, but nothing horrible at all. Generally, I would go in on day 10 for b/w and u/s, then b/w the next day, the b/w and ultrasound on day 12 and so on - I generally o'd on my own so I didn't need the HCG shot and would go in for the IUI the day after the LH surge was detected. The whole process ended up not working for us, but there have been many IUI pregnancies on this board and it is definitely a good and more affordable procedure to try before going high tech and high cost (ie. IVF).
I agree with the other ladies - another SA is a great idea. My DH had one horrible one and they thought something was wrong with him but since then he's had excellent numbers, so it was just a fluke. I also imagine that once your OB knows there is a definite problem to work around, she may be more willing to give you that referral sooner.
Good luck to you as you are working towards a plan.
Heather

~ TTC since 2007
~ BFP May 2009 after 2nd cycle of clomid followed by MC at 8 weeks
~ IUIs starting April 2010
~ Weak BFP April 2010

~ Meron born 12-09-11 after 3 1/2 years of TTC, IUIs and IVF.
~ #2 on the way(!) and due 06-06-13.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 5:30pm

Scarlett,

Glad that we could help to ease your mind a little bit.

Kelly (31) DH (32) TTC Since June 2009 August 2007 - Myomectomy - removed large fibroid on back of uterus January 2010 - HSG reveals "possible" blocked left tube March 2010 - First RE visit (PCOS secondary to CAH diagnosed) April 2010 - October 2010
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 5:45pm
Kelly~I did get the re scheduled for the same day as dhs u/s & results. The re is just down the street from dh's Urologist so that works out rather well. They are both about a 45min drive though from home. My dh travels a lot for work so I'm not sure how well its going to work out for him but I'm praying it all works out.

~1/10-Offically TTC #1
~9/10-MFI Revealed

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-06-2010 - 1:36pm

I was glad to hear that you got an appt with a RE.

Tamar

TTC #1 since Feb '09 with Unexplained Infertility: SA's all ok; b/w and HSG ok; Lap Mar '10 - mild endo on outside of right tube/uterus removed but not considered eno

Pages