New and Scared

iVillage Member
New and Scared
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 12:09am

Hi All!

I am new to this board. I have been on ttc after a stillbirth for the last 14 months. I lost my son Jake at 38 weeks in May 2009 due to a cord accident. I was able to get pregnant very easily with him, but now, 2 years later I have low ovarian reserve. My amh is .4, and we have been ttc for 12 cycles now. I tried 3 rounds of clomid with no luck. So now the docs say I need to try IVF.

We are a little overwhelmed by the cost. Is there any tips on where to get meds cheaper? Also, my doctor does not offer financing, did anyone get loans or assistance for IVF? Our insurance pays for nothing. Also, I am so worried about taking the meds, they are giving me the highest dose because of my low amh. I did have 9 follicles yesterday. 4 on one ovary and 5 on the other. Is that good?

When I read the posts on here it seems that many women have to do many IVF cycles before they get pregnant, is that the norm?

This last year has been horrible, mourning the loss of my son probably has not helped with ttc. I am turning 39 and my DH is 41. Sometimes it seems there is no Hope, but we are trying to remain positive. It was such a cruel twist of fate to lose Jake, he was fine one day and gone the next. We had a scheduled induction, I woke up ready to meet him that day, never expecting I would be saying good bye. I know a new baby will never replace for Jake, but it sure would help fill the agonizing hole that he left behind. There is nothing worse than giving birth in silence, when all you want to hear is the scream of a baby that is not to be.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I wish everyone the best of luck.

Sammi

iVillage Member
In reply to: sammi1989
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 12:22pm

Sorry to hear about your loss. I would have to assume that it has been a really rough year. Sounds like you have a good antral follicle count with having a low reserve. As far as the meds go, there are some pharmacies that do Design RX and will give you a discount with no insurance. It will still be pricy. I usually go through IVP care online pharmancy which is now part of Walgreens. I think there is also Freedom pharmancy and Shrafts pharmacy that gives discounts. Your best bet is just to do a search and try and find the cheapest prices. The online pharmacies are usually easy to deal with and most ship overnight.
I have mostly had insurance for my cycles either that took a loan on my 401k so not real sure about financing. i have come across this site that has insurance plans and pretty sure they have some financing options.
http://www.newlifeagency.com/ivf/assisted_reproduction_insurance.cfm

I would think that your clinic would at least have some info on loans available.

Good Luck to you. I know starting on the IVF roller coaster ride can seem overwhelming. my best advice is just to take everything one step at a time.

CHRIS

----"Never give up on something that you can't stop thinking about every second of every day."----

Chris 

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 12:41pm

Sammi - I can't even imagine what you are going through - so sorry for your loss!!

If you RE does Serano drugs (Gonal F, Cetratide) they have a program called Compassionate Care where based on income they will give you meds. Also Freedom Pharmacy has a "frequent flyer" type program where they give you discounts on your 2nd or 3rd cycle of drugs.

Good luck this cycle - I wish you success!!!

Rachel

Me 39 DH 38
TTC for 4 years (TTC for 3 years w/ex-husband adopted a now 10 year beautiful little girl from Russia)

2 failed IUI 2009 -
1st IVF January 10 negative after 3 perfect blast - one frozen
Feb 10 begged OB/Gyn to do surgery for "pain" to see if tubes blocked from PID back when I was 16 - yep both tubes blocked - unblocked 1 tube
May 10 IVF #2 - 3 eight cell transferred neg again
8/27/10 started stims for IVF #3 of 3-cycle package-last chance of fresh then do frozen - then donor
Trigger: 9/7/10
ER:9/8/10 - 9
ET: 9/13 - 3 embryos (2blast and 1 morela)
Beta: 9/23/10

Me 39 DH 38
TTC for 4 years (TTC for 3 years w/ex-husband adopted a now 10 year beautiful little girl from Russia)
2 failed IUI 2009-1st IVF January 10 negative after 3 perfect blast - one frozen Feb 10 begged OB/Gyn to do surgery for "pain" to see
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 5:52pm

Sammi,

Sorry to hear of your loss...you have been through so much and I hope this works out well for you. I wish I could give you insurance advice, but our insurance didn't pay a dime!!! Don't worry about the meds. I am very sensitive and my RE put me on the most aggressive protocal...I was taking 600 units of Gonal F daily,

Me - 43 - Low ovarian reseve due to age

DH - 55 - Perfect

5/2010 - 1st IVF - Only 4 Eggs none fertilized

8/26/10 started stim