Has anyone done IVM-In Vitro Maturation?

iVillage Member
Has anyone done IVM-In Vitro Maturation?
Thu, 09-30-2010 - 1:23pm

We've just learned that my husband has only 4% normal sperm and have to go in for futher evaluation to see if there are any other issues.

I've been researching infertility online and found IVM (In Virto Maturation) which is IVF without the use of hormones.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 11:24am

Enkay

Definately go a see a urologist. One who specializes in mens infertility.There might be something they could do for your DH to improve your IVF chances.

IVF#1 March 2010 GonalF, Cetrotide, Menopur.
23 follicles 19 eggs 13 mature 7 fertilized 2 blasts none to freeze. No Pregnancy.
IVF#2 July 2010 Lupron Gonal F Menopur
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-20-2010 - 3:22pm
I just went trhough my first IVF process but had to end it because of the 13 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized but didn't make it for the egg transfer. Now, we are back to square one and it hurts and sucks. My Hubby has very very low sperm count....about 10% or so. Does anyone know the reason why the embroy's didn't make it? I am completely normal...have no infertility problem. We are so so confused and don't know what to do next. Should we go and see a Urologists? Has anyone experienced this and found a better solution that worked? if so, please share some insights. Thanks!
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-09-2010 - 7:16pm

Mel

Our IVF doctor and urologist told us don't bother either, so we did'nt. We actually went through 2 IVF"s before doing the surgery.

23 follicles 19 eggs 13 mature 7 fertilized 2 blasts none to freeze. No Pregnancy.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-08-2010 - 7:50pm

Myy husband had the vericocele surgery before we went to IVF and our IVF doctors said that was a total waste of time. I have to agree as it took forevler for my husband to get an appt with a urologist and then the surgery and then the follow up and then the wait to see if it worked was like 6 months. All in all I think we wasted a year of our time on a procedure that did nothing but cost us money and my husband misery. I would advise to skip it.

Me (35) DH (34) w/mfi

Baby #1
IUI#1 (7/08)BFN
IVF#1 (9/08/10/08)BFP

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-08-2010 - 7:46pm

My DH also has severe MFI. Low count, low morph and low motility. We did IVF with ICSI. Which is where they take the sperm and insert it into the egg. We got pregnant on the first try. Just thought Id let you know. Also I know this might sound lame but I bought the book "Infertility for Dummies" way back when I started realizing that we had issues and I LOVED it! Super informational. I just got it back out the other day and started reading parts of it again as I am currently going through a frozen embryo transfer with the 2 eggs we had left from our first IVF. I go in next Friday for my first beta test. As of right now I am pregnant with twins. (Just trying to stay posative!) Good luck! And these message boards are awesome!

Me (35) DH (34) w/mfi

Baby #1
IUI#1 (7/08)BFN
IVF#1 (9/08/10/08)BFP

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-06-2010 - 12:13pm

He has an appointment with the urologist at the end of the month.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 12:26pm
Anytime, I like to help other women because it was so overwhelming for us when we first discovered we might be going down the IVF road. Has your DH seen his urologist yet? After my Dh did the sperm tests he went to a urologist who told him he had a very prominant varicocele that could be contributing to the infertility. He just had the surgery, I really think he should have had this done before we already did 2 IVF's. It may not have solved our problem completely but it could improve our IVF chances. I guess we will see if that holds true. we are trying again in Nov.
Just take it one step at a time, and you are very smart to do your own research. There is actually a new thing called PICSI http ://art.biocoat.com/index.htm some clinics are using it in combination with ICSI. It something new to help choose genetically healthy sperm. my clinic does not offer it yet but quite a few around the country are... something to look into.
Janie
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 12:02pm
Thank you for the response!! I've been contacting fertility clinics in our area and trying to read as much as possible. This is quite the educational process!
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-30-2010 - 4:16pm

From your post it seems that your husband is the reason why you a are considering IVF or IVM. I am assuming you have no fertility issues yourself.
My DH has severe MFI and with your DH only having only 4% normal sperm it seems like you are in the same situation.
I once researched IVM but my RE said don't waste your time and I am glad we did not.
This is what I have learned dealing with with MFI and IVF.
It is hard to get eggs fertilised with sperm that is abnormal and so you will need as many mature eggs as possible to have the best chance. IVF logically seems like the best treatment for that situation.
Since they are not using hormones with IVM the majority of eggs will be immature. I don't believe immature eggs can be fertilized, I had a few immature ones in my last cycle and the RE said they could not be used. I think they were able to grow some of the immature ones in the lab to maturity but a few were not able to. During IVF the goal is to grow all of your eggs to maturity and even with IVF that does not happen.

Try to find out what is causing the sperm issue hopefully it can be treated, although there are only a few conditions that can be treated medically when it comes to sperm. If you need fertility treatment than I would go with IVF. I would not waste time and money with IVM. It's hard enough to get pregnant when you are going through IVF. It seems that IVM would make it more difficult.
You want to give yourself the best chance possible without anymore hurdles than you already have. Lots of couples have babies with men that have abnormal sperm but it takes a little extra help :-}

Get this book In Vitro Fertilization The ART of Making Babies. i found it very informative