Sensory Issues Question and EI

iVillage Member
Sensory Issues Question and EI
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 2:22pm

For those who work with

siggy

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 3:35pm

Thanks for responding Caren - I really do appreciate your input.

I have a list going for the evaluation.

siggy

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 7:33pm

Hi Amy-

Although I have worked with mostly older kids, I did work for a few years with younger ones in EI. I think Caren had some great ideas. Here are a couple of things that I would be asking from behavioral therapist's perspective (you don't have to answer them here if you don't want to--just something to keep in mind for the eval).

1) How long have the behaviors been going on?

2).

Breastfeeding Mama Blinky Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 9:34am

Thanks for checking Caren!

siggy

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-18-2010 - 2:58am

Hi Amy,
I have baby Mack and she has sensory issues too. It took my DH and I a while to figure out what was causing her difficulties. I'll give a little info of what caused us to wonder.

She began her life in the NICU on a feeding tube and from day one had oral aversions. We expected that she might. She was picky about things in her mouth which caused nursing to cease and at one point she was eating little to nothing at all for weeks at a time. We couldn't figure out why.

She began to blow raspberries constantly which got in the way of her feeding and she eventually was diagnosed FTT and was just short of begin placed on a feeding tube when she began to eat again. Always something bothering her revolving around her mouth. She is still very choosy about foods. She will mostly eat dry-crunchy foods only.

We also noticed her rocking her head back and forth when she put herself to sleep. She rubbed her blanket on her face and began to hit her head on the crib. She now rocks and kicks the crib to go to sleep. We weren't worried about it, it was just different and we took note.

She pulls out her hair and is nearly bald now on the sides. She does this when she is frustrated, mad, and just out of sync. She throws things, bangs things, hits, bites herself, and other sensory seeking behaviors. She will withdraw from a group if she is overstimulated.

She also has a serious fascination with lights, moon, stars...

I wish you the best with the evaluation. Sensory issues have been difficult for us because they aren't black and white. Keep us posted. Caren is an amazing resource. :)
Annie

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 3:08pm

Thanks for your input Annie - some of the things you described in Mack are extremely similar to Ryan.

The problem I am finding is that he doesn't fit all the typical stereotypes for sensory issues. Like you said, they are not black and white...

He loves to go places and does not seem to get overwhelmed by that but he loves lights too and the circular issue is a calming mechanism for him.

He definitely has food aversions but doesn't choke and I thought that typically kids choke if they have sensory issues.

However, I have reached a breaking point with his meltdowns though as have gotten worse and he hits himself and everyone that gets near him so I don't know how to work with this but I hope that going through the evaluation, I can get some pointers.

Thanks for responding - hope things are going well with you and Mack!

siggy

siggy

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-08-2010 - 7:38am

Hi Amy-

I was thinking of you and wondering whether you got the evaluation back and received any help? Check in if you can! :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-08-2010 - 3:56pm

Thanks for checking in on us!

Well, they called to schedule the evaluation and we had just found out during his audiologist appt.

siggy

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-09-2010 - 6:46pm

Well, having a blocked tube would be something painful and I could see that causing some of his tantrums too! I think you are smart to wait until that issue is resolved to have the evaluation take place.

Madeline's speech is soo much better. She is up to about 40+ words she is saying regularly, with about 10 or so more that she is almost saying. She jabbers constantly and is becoming much clearer. I know she started off a bit behind, and some of her peers are clearer, but I really believe that she will catch up by the time she is 2. She really is on a roll, and she really seems to like talking now (whereas before, she didn't seem to want to). She has also started screaming too, which she enjoys, and that is another story....LOL!!

Please keep us posted on the eval! I hope that Ryan is getting some relief now that they found the tube!