Birth Announcement and story

iVillage Member
Birth Announcement and story
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 12:36am

Maeve Elizabeth arrived on September 13th at 7:55 am. She weighed 8 pounds, 5 ounces and was 19 inches long... healthy... beautiful. I am so thankful.

Labour and delivery was only 3.5 hours all told (no time for an epidural!), and there was a half-hour afterwards where I held my sticky baby and basked in the bliss of it all... then all hell broke loose. John held baby for an hour and a half while I was hooked up to oxytocin to start contractions again, and rushed to the OR for a scary and excruciating procedure called a "Manual Removal" - it seemed my placenta liked the spot it had adhered to, at the top of my uterus, and it just wasn't coming out on its own.

I am so thankful that I was at a hospital; I would never have considered a home birth, but I would have died if I hadn't been where all those people could run to help as fast as they did - my blood pressure was 40 over 20 at one point. I was shaking uncontrollably with shock, hemmorhaging, and alternating between lying semi-conscious on the table and screaming my guts out.

Either the procedure, or my own contractions, were successful at getting the placenta out. Good thing too - failure would have meant emergency hysterectomy.

I lost a lot of blood and needed to spend 3 nights in hospital instead of just one. And at the end of it, my doc recommended a blood transfusion and I got two units of red blood cells. :( I didn't like the idea much, but I felt better almost right away.

I am also thankful that people donate blood (you only get cookies and juice for donating, in Canada).

It's taken me several days to piece it all back together in my head and be able to write this. My hemoglobin is still low and I'm bruised inside and out, but I'm feeling way, way better than I was, and my milk even came in on Friday so we don't need hardly any supplementing anymore. Maeve is doing great at both breast and bottle and is just such a nice, snuggly newborn that no one likes to put her down. :) Which is what I have to do now, though, because she's sleeping on my shoulder.

I feel I should apologize if I've frightened anyone with my gory tale! But when you hear "mother and baby are fine," well, I won't take that for granted anymore.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 10:33am
oh my gosh kara!!!! i'm so glad that it detached, that is majorly scary and i'm also so glad that you were in the hospital where they could help you quickly. so glad that she is so sweet and cuddly too! i was loving the pics of the hospital b/c the girls look so so proud of their new baby sister- adorable!
cheers to mama and baby being just fine (now;) XO!!

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 2:49pm
OMgoodness Kara, how scary :(
Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 3:14pm

Wow, Kara! That's very scary! I'm grateful that you were surrounded by a team that saved you! John must've been out of his mind afraid.

I'm glad you're feeling better and Maeve Elizabeth is a beautiful name!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 3:48pm
Wow Kara, that is so scary!

PROUD MOMMY OF ZOE ALEXA 1-12-05

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 4:22pm
YIKES! I'm so thankful that everyone is okay!!!!!
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 10:00pm
Oh my gosh Kara, how scary! I am so glad you were in good hands and you are okay now. I love the photos of the 3 girls together - how lucky they are to have each other, not just one but two sisters for each of them. Love to all of you...
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-27-2010 - 1:15pm

Holy Cannoli, woman!