Will Formula Feeding Harm My Baby?

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 4:23pm

• Yes - formula feeding could impact your baby's health

• No - formula feeding is a safe and effective alternative

You will be able to change your vote.

~*~ Catherine, mom to three grown men - Jason, Michael & Joshua and Granma to Christopher & Leia.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 4:25pm

Taken from this poll:

__Will Formula Feeding Harm My Baby?__

When a mother has her new child, she faces a tough decision: breastfeed or formula feed? Perhaps a combination of both? Many mothers have reservations about breastfeeding because of the time commitment and concerns over producing enough milk, but also fear that formula feeding could impact their baby's health. Are these fears warranted, or is formula feeding a safe and effective alternative to the natural method?

Read more:
http://www.answerbag.com/debates/formula-feeding-harm-baby_1855499

In their poll 25% said yes, 75% said no.

~*~ Catherine, mom to three grown men - Jason, Michael & Joshua and Granma to Christopher & Leia.

CL Breastmilk vs. Formula Debate Board

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Pregnancy Stories By Age - 43-56+yrs old!

You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's

Frugal Freebies

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 9:59am

Both polls should have a "Maybe" choice, or the poll should be re-named "COULD FF harm my baby?"

I can understand why the answers would look different here. :-)

Kevali

Kevali

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 3:13pm
The first answer to the poll is "Yes, formula feeding COULD impact your baby's health" which is basically your MAYBE answer. Sure the poll title could have read Could instead of WILL but but you are given a choice between maybe or definitely not.

Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 4:11pm

Um, thanks?

FWIW, that was my answer. My comment was based on the title of the poll.

*edited to add..so the choices as they stand are "maybe" and "definitely not?" Do you not think THAT is a little skewed?

Kevali

Kevali

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 5:29pm

I choose "formula feeding is a safe & effective alternative" because it is! How can formula harm my babee????? It wouldn't be on the store shelf if it was harming babees!!

Formula is so well-made today that babees do just as great as breastfed babees. After all, no babees died using formula - unless you don't feed the babee properly. And that's not right!

I haven't had a babee yet, but everybody I know was formulafed & they're all just as healthy & smart. So if I decide to use formula I know my babee will be perfectly fine.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 6:48pm

Welcome to the debate board Silent Promises! It's good to see you posting here, and I hope that you will stick around - we always need more voices on the formula feeding side!

Are you pregnant now, or TTCing? If you have the time, take a few minutes to read some of the articles posted to the Newsstand folder - there are many articles about the harm that formula can do there.

CL Breastmilk vs. Formula Debate Board

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Pregnancy Stories By Age - 43-56+yrs old!

You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's

Frugal Freebies

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 11:34pm

Yes - formula feeding could impact your baby's health

No - formula feeding is a safe and effective alternative

I would check both if the poll allowed it. Both are accurate answers.

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser."

John W. Gardner

Photobucket

Ten Rules for Being Human

Photobucket

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding."
Malcolm Gladwell Blink

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 12:47pm

<>

This idea that formula would not be allowed to be sold by the FDA or other government agency if it had any significant health risks assumes significant health risks alone are considered justification for banning a substance. Agencies like the FDA look at whether the health risks of the substance or product outweighs the benefits in all cases. Merely having significant health risks does mean it will be banned. If a baby cannot be given breastmilk for whatever reason then that baby would have to be fed something or it will starve and since commercial infant formula is the only other food considered acceptable to fed an infant, they can't ban it or else some babies would starve, regardless of the fact that it has significant health risks. Since the health risks of formula generally are not so significant that death is likely (at least in developed countries) that means that is in the best interest of the FDA to allow it on the market despite it's risks.

You sometimes see something similar occur in the way the FDA regulates certain very risky prescription drugs. Some drugs have potential serious side-effects but because they also significant benefits for some people that cannot be matched with alternative drugs (if any exists) they are allowed to remain on the market. These risky drugs are referred to black label drug due to the fact that these drugs contain a special label that warns of potential severe risks that the patient and doctor should know they need to seriousnly consider when deciding if the risks are outweighed by the benefits in that patients case.

What this all means is that unless someone comes up with a better infant formula formula that does not contain significant health risks it is necessary to keep current infant formulas on the market for those babies that cannot be fed breastmilk for whatever reason.

<>

There is currently no evidence that proves that formula-fed babies do just as well as breastfed babies as a whole. All reliable studies have shown that formula has health risks when compared with breastfeeding. Now keep in mind that some babies will appear to do just as well as other breastfed babies and some breastfed babies do have many health issues despite being breastfed. The key word here is that we are talking about an increased RISK of health issues from feeding formula not a guarantee. There is no guarantee that a FF baby will be sick all the time or that a BF baby will always be healthy just a greater chance with each.

<>

That is not quit true. While in the developed world the risk of death from formula is rare it is possible. For example, there is a bacteria called E. Sakazakii that sometimes contaminates powdered formula containers and has been link to the death of formula-fed babies. See the following link: http://jcm.asm.org/cgi/content/full/39/1/293?referer=www.clickfind.com.au

The chance of death is even worse for third-world countries where higher risk of disease and lack of clean water to prepare formula all lead much higher risks of the baby contracting a fetal disease or illness. The lack of antibodies in formula makes is easier for these health issues to take hold and makes them more serious.

<>

Just because the formula-fed people you know appear on the surface to be perfectly healthy does not mean they are or where. They may have had many health issues as a baby you don't know about or have health issues as an adults that are not obvious and which they chosen have not shared with you. Also, even if they didn't suffer any noticeable short or long-term health effects that does not mean formula is equal healthwise to BF'ing since they represent only a tiny portion of the human population and are not statistically a large enough population to draw sound conclusions about the health risks of formula.

The fact that breastmilk contains antibodies while formula does not have should tell you that there is chance that a baby will be sicker or sicker for longer on formula then with breastmilk unless your someone who doesn't believe in the power of antibodies.

<< So if I decide to use formula I know my babiee will be perfectly fine.>>

The reality is that you really can't know ahead of time how your baby will do on formula. There is a mother on this board (CL-Witch-power) who babies could not tolerate any formula, even the specialty kinds. She had no expectation that her baby might not do fine on formula and learned the hard way that some babies do not do just fine on formula. You can find many of other moms who post to internet parenting boards who also say their baby did not do well on formula either.

Edited 9/20/2010 5:39 pm ET by charleen2008

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 5:48pm
ITA!
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 6:42pm

>>Both polls should have a "Maybe" choice, or the poll should be re-named "COULD FF harm my baby?"<<

Yes, I totally agree.

Pages