Getting Started on the Boards: Top 5 Things to Do

iVillage Member
Getting Started on the Boards: Top 5 Things to Do
Mon, 10-11-2010 - 7:54am

With our new message board system there are more options. It takes some time to get acquainted with all of the things you can do with your preferences and message options, but here are five things we recommend all iVillagers do to get started on the boards:

1) Update your signature
To update your signature, log in and click "Edit My Preferences" located in the upper right corner of any message board page. This will take you to your personal preferences and settings for the message boards. You can add text and HTML code for fonts, images and links in the signature box. Please be sure to keep your signature's size and simplicity in mind as a courtesy to other users. Updating your signature will update it on all of the messages you've posted.

quick links.PNG

signature box.PNG

2) Set your preferences
From your preferences page you can also set your time zone, choose if you'd like to view signatures and/or HTML in messages or use the rich text editor to compose your messages. (This allows you to easily select fonts, colors and other formatting when posting your messages.)

3) Jump to the first unread message
The boards work best if you're logged in because the system will remember your preferences and what messages you've read and those you haven't. To make sure you're always taken to the most recent unread messages, click "Edit My Preferences", then click "Linear Layout" *. Be sure the option to "Jump to first unread post in a topic" is checked, then save your changes. When you visit your favorite boards and click on a discussion title or the green "new posts" indicator, you'll be taken to the first unread message.
*Note: From this page you can also choose how many messages you want to see per page in a discussion and how many discussions (or "topics") you prefer to see on each page in folder view.

Caryn D. Stein
Director of Community, iVillage.com | Contact Us

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-11-2010 - 9:29pm

I've uploaded my avatar, but even though it shows up on my profile page, it isn't showing up on any of my old posts that I've looked up. I haven't posted any new threads because my message board is messed up and has no "start discussion" button. I don't knpw if that has anything to do with it or not. I've even tried logging out and logging back in and it still isn't working. :(

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-11-2010 - 9:30pm
never mind...it seems to be working now...:)
Administrator
Wed, 10-13-2010 - 2:29pm

Erin
Community Technical Assistant | Community Moderator
iVillage.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-15-2010 - 11:40am

I really prefer the folder view to the normal look when looking at all topics.

Mary, Mama to Gavin, Derek, and Tyler
Administrator
Fri, 10-22-2010 - 3:21pm

Erin
iVillage.com

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-24-2010 - 4:14pm

Wow, is it me or do the new changes kind of suck? I am not computer illiterate or anything, but sure seems like so much to do for this. This is why I don't even view this site like I used to. Any chance of them going back to the old settings?

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-18-2010 - 9:02pm

It appears the MyProfile link is not working in this paragraph and I have found it next to impossible to navigate the new site. I cannot find anyway at this time to change my photo (somehow I must have uploaded it in the first place).

Please Please bring back the old format!

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-09-2010 - 2:33am

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask, but I just joined iVillage using my email, which is my full, real name, and I was wondering if there's any way I can change my username so that it's not my real name but something else.

www.shellyunveiled.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-09-2010 - 2:35am
Test
www.shellyunveiled.com
Administrator
Thu, 12-09-2010 - 12:19pm

Hi there -

Unfortunately you can't change a name once you've created it, but you can create a new one. If you need further help with your account changes, you can contact customer support and they'll be able to help you with that. :)

Erin
iVillage.com

Pages