BF mamas- pump question

iVillage Member
BF mamas- pump question
Thu, 10-21-2010 - 5:03pm

ok, so i am not getting my hopes up too high after the epic failure that was trying to bf Piper, but I do want to give it a try. and bare minimum I want to pump for awhile just so she gets some milk.

all the reviews i have been reading are raving on and on on manual pumps working better and being more comfortable than electric.

I had initially considered getting one to pull my nipple out to make it easier for her to latch.( mine are flat on one and inverted on the other.) plus, i really don't have the $$ to shell out for an electric right now.

has anyone used a manual pump? any reccomendations? anyone used one to pull the nipple out?

thanks;)!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-21-2010 - 6:09pm

I had 2 manuals the hospitals gave me for James. One was a squeeze and the other a pull. I have to say as they went it wasn't any better or worse than the electric. I think it even took the same amount of time it was just less effort on my part. Next time around I will probably buy a good manual since with Cole I bought 2 electric and both broke because they weren't meant to the type of use (multiple pumpings a day).

Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-21-2010 - 6:18pm

it really seems to be. the lady that gave the tour was asking and i summed up my issues and she said to be sure to tell the labor nurse and they will make sure a lc is there right after.first hospital i couldn't get anyone in there until the morning we were leaving.

I told the nurse i was not seeming to have any luck and she left the room, came back with a nipple shield and left again. so--- yeah :P

i think i might give it a whirl. they are pretty cheap, and are getting fab reviews. can't hurt, right? :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-21-2010 - 6:33pm
No it can't. I am not one to really push it unless the mom wants to. kwim? But I really thought it was important with Cole so that we could get that bond. I knew that was the only time he would get my undivided attention.

I suggest buying Piper some new Teve dvd's or getting some from netflix and keeping them for the days when you are just starting out. That way she has something new and special too.
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-21-2010 - 6:43pm

we have netflix, so the 1st 3 seasons are on there already. she just decided she likes dora too. so that may help a bit too. i am stocking the dvr with mass amounts of cartoons to help out:)

she can watch the same Teve over and over and never notices. i ran out on the dvr the one day (the rest were joe and had to be erased promptly) and she watched the same one 3x's in a row when i was sick

that's kind of what i am thinking with this one. Piper is going to still take up most of my time , so everything except the early morning and late night will be filled with her. so, a little one on one time would be great

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-22-2010 - 10:26am

I was told

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-22-2010 - 11:14am

the shields didn't seem to help at me at all either. she got pissed off at them :P

hmmm that thingie looks like pretty much the same idea as a pump just doesn't actually collect the milk right?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-25-2010 - 10:07pm

when I had Owen, we had a lot of trouble getting him to latch too because of my flat nipples. The nurse came back in with a contraption that she made from a syringe (without the needle). All I had to do was stick it over my nipple and pull it out before I tried feeding. The suction was pretty strong but it def pulled my nipple out! I used that until I saw that they made these:

http://www.pigeonbaby.info/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=29&category_id=18&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=42

They sell them at babies r us. Long story short, I ended up being an exclusive pumper after all was said and done. And I (personally) would not recommend a manual if you are planning on pumping more than once a day. Some mamas love manuals and find they work better but I HATED them. I had one around for emergencies (if our power went out), but I used my Medela PISA all day, every day and its still going strong (even though Im done pumping).

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-31-2010 - 11:50am

thanks Kristen! not sure why i am only getting some notifications. grrrr

HOPEFULLY this little mama will play nice and just latch right on and i won't have to worry about all this.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-02-2010 - 7:42pm

I have the Medela pump, it can either be manual or electric worked great! I actually perfered my manual pump over the electric till I got the medela! its not too expensive I think like $80 which isnt a lot considering some are over $200...

I didnt see a difference in my nipples from one to the other they both pull them out pretty good! eeek! the control you have over the manual is probably what people like best. ... Im rambling and this probably isnt helping much!... hope you find something that works really well for you!

Photobucket