~$~ Friday Frugal Finds ~$~

iVillage Member
~$~ Friday Frugal Finds ~$~
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 8:35am
Wow - another week gone! Here we are with a great new format and I hope you are all ready to share your shopping adventures.

Tell us all about how you spent your carefully budgeted money this week.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 9:43am
well, I didn't really shop this week - saving $ to afford gravel and pipe to finish this drain in the back yard. :>) barb

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 10:28am
Well, after DMV bled my wallet almost dry,

I popped into the Dollar General Store &

I bought 4 bags of groceries for $29.

Ramen, cream soups,canned meats, seasonings and a

few paper products.

You know, every Dollar General carries

a few different things that the other ones don't.

I'll be making that a special once a month trip,

I usually go to the city for everything, but

now when I go to the library, I'll definately

pop in there.

Brenda

Parties & Entertaining Frugal Living Apriil Commmunity Leader of the
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:09am
There's nothing careful about my budget, LOL! Ever since DH was laid off 13 months ago (yikes), it seems he just wants to act as though nothing's different. I think it has only recently dawned on him that all my rantings and ravings about overspending might be based on some real observations! ack!

He is now being a tad more efficient, picking up store coupons as we go down the aisles at the grocery store. awww, how sweet!

So, what did we buy...I try to stock up on certain things when they go on sale, like rice, pasta, butter - things that can be stored in bulk and in the freezer. For us, sometimes pre-packaged convenience foods work out better, depending upon the store pricing. Sometimes it costs me just as much to buy a package of boneless skinless chicken breasts as it does to get packaged pre-seasoned store label. Go figure! And then, sometimes it's worth the expense of getting vacuum-packed avocadoes versus spending 69 cents apiece and forgetting about them in the bottom of the produce bin because that's where they ended up when the groceries were put away. LOL!

I make my own pasta, sometimes, too. It's a lot of work, takes time, but it's fun and I know what goes in it.

Oh, so what did I buy...philly steak package (was less than buying the beef and trying to slice it, and less than the deli counter) and fajita chicken breasts (less than a package of chicken breasts) for DH's favorite sandwiches. There was a store special as these were being featured by the Chef's Station (we have live chefs cooking at demo stations in our store, really cool). Strawberries are starting to come down in price (still keeping an eye on those) and asparagus was around $1.69/lb versus $2.99 a couple of weeks ago (bought some).

Cheers and have a great weekend,

Alysia :-)

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 12:26pm
My best buy this week was Stoneyfield Farms yogurt. It is usually so expensive, but I needed a lot to counteract the aftermath of all the antibiotics I swallowed over the course of the past three weeks. What I needed was good, all natural yogurt with live cultures to help my tummy, and this is the best I've found. Just by chance it was on sale 5 for $3. I got 10 of them, all flavors and that, along with toast, bananas and ginger tea, is what I've been living on.

Other than that, I just got some bananas and a loaf of 7 grain bread - no bargains there.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 8:40am
Found a couple of great buys this week......

Winn Dixie has 4 lbs of bananas for $1!!! I got 8 lbs and had a coupon for $2 off fresh fruit. FREE!!!

Bi-Lo has frozen Totinos pizzas for $1 each and I have a bunch of $1 off any frozen pizza = FREE!

I am still getting in on the Tyson frozen chicken deal at several stores. I have $1 off coupon for any frozen chicken and then I buy a box of nuggets for 2.89 and get back a catalina for $1.50 off my next shopping trip. I use the $1.50 and the $1 coupon and get packs of nuggets for about $.39. A few weeks ago, with one sale, these were actually free. Now I am just incorporating it into my mystery shopping and have THEM pay for it. Right before this deal came along, my kids had just finished up the last of the nuggets I had stockpiled about 6 months ago, so I was really grateful for this sale. Now I have enough for another six months.

Food Lion has ground beef for $1.19/lb this week. (Family packs are $.99/lb) I have a ton of coupons for $1 off ground beef and have been getting lots of ground beef for somewhere between $.19 - .25 a pack. Not bad for just over a pound of ground beef.

Guess those are most of my deals for this week.

Christina

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 6:25pm
I don't know if my budget was carefully planned :) but I did manage to find Pirate's Booty 1/2 price at Shop Rite for 99 cents a bag!! My daughter loves that stuff, and I thought even getting it at Trader Joe's for $1.69 was cheap. :) So that was a great find. I'm going to go back and get more during the week to stock up a little bit.

Another good deal was a free appetizer at TGIF's because I had enough Gold Points saved up. You earn about 10 points per dollar you spend each time you eat at TGIF's. For a free appetizer it "costs" 1250 points. Then I received an email from them marketing their new entrees, and if I go and get the Sizzlin Chicken dinner for $8.99, I get 899 bonus gold points! We love to go there because the food is good, plentiful, and generally reasonable. This makes it even more enticing. :)

~ Kim

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 10:06pm

Some of my frugal finds this week include:

Ground Round (hamburger) $1.69/lb

Kraft American Singles $.99

1/2 gallons of milk $.99

2-liter bottles of Pepsi $.69

Froot Loops $1.06/box

12-packs of Dannon Spring Water $2.04

18 count box of Van DeKamp's Fish Sticks $1.94

Pennsylvania Dutch canned mushrooms $.39/can

10-count Hi-C drink boxes $1.25

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 6:53am
I didn't buy any groceries this week. I'll be doing my big monthly shopping stocking up extravaganza this coming Friday!!

Nancy