Wednesday Wisdom - sandwiches

iVillage Member
Wednesday Wisdom - sandwiches
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 10:56am
Tell us all about your favorite thrifty sandwiches. Sandwiches for lunch, for breakfast, for supper or a snack! What's your favorite and what's your most frugal?

Elaine

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 1:08pm
I have several favorites, French dip sandwiches, Buffalo grilled chicken sandwiches, Muffletta sandwiches and Grilled Veggie subs are all tied for first place. As for most frugal I'd have to vote for the Grilled veggie subs (since in the summer they are made from homegrown veggies & I serve them on homemade sub buns w/ homemade Italian dressing) and the French dip sandwiches since they are always made with planned over roast beef on homemade buns.

Nancy
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 1:29pm
My favorite sandwich is fried bologna on white bread with mayonaise. I know it's not very healthy, but I don't have it often. For my frugal sandwich, in the summer it's thick slices of freshly picked tomato with a very thin slice of sweet onion on a crusty roll. Salt & pepper, a little drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of oregano or basil or minced parsley and I'm in heaven. In the winter time, I like an egg sandwich on toast as a frugal meal.

Elaine

Community Leader
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 6:21am
Mmmm Well the can spam in a can Can be ground up and add some pickle relish and a little diet mayo makes a lovely sandwich but any of those can meats also can be use like corned beef.. I also will take some pieces of corned beef and a little onion and put it in my egg for a great western egg sandwich.. A tuna with onion with diet mayo make a cheap sandwich. But I always buy cold cuts on 1/2 day sale day which is usually the Tues after the weekend... Hope Everyone a Great Day..wren
<
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 7:29am
Hi everyone,

I'm back from vacationing in Florida. We had a great time. I hope all of you had a good week last week.

I have a couple of favorite thrifty sandwiches:

1. I get imitation soy bacon bits in the dollar store. I toast some bread, put light mayo on it, sprinkle with the bacon bits, and top with lettuce and tomato. Yummy!!!

2. I toast some bread, put light mayo on it, put a slice of cheese on it, and put some lettuce, tomatos and onions. Light and delicious!!!

3. I do love tuna fish sandwiches as well . I stock up alot on the solid white tuna when it's on sale. I mix the tuna with chopped onion, celery and sometimes shredded carrots, and of course some light mayo. It extends the tuna to make more sanwiches, and it's healthy and tasty.

Enjoy!!! Maxine :-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 3:13pm
When you mentioned grated carrot in the tuna salad, I suddenly remembered an old recipe called "Carrot Salmon". I think it was in an cookbook called "Victory Through Vegetables" from way back in the 1970s - I still have it and will look up the recipe. Havn't thought about that book for a long time!

Elaine

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 9:14am
I found the "Carrot Salmon" Recipe in an old vegetarian, all natural, cookbook. Use it just like tuna salad, in sandwiches etc.

From "Victory Through Vegetables" by Joan Weiner, pub. 1970, Holt Reinhart & Winston of Canada, Ltd. (page 45)

Mimi Alterman's Carrot Salmon

6 carrots, chopped

1/2 c. unsalted cashews, chopped

1/2 c. peanuts, chopped

2 tbsp pickle relish

1 1/2 tbsp Bob's Mayo (recipe follows, but according to my notes, I used plain old mayonaise, and I used 3 tbsp)

Combine carrots & nuts in blender or put through grinder. In bowl, mix all ingredients together well.

Bob's Mayo

2 tbsp soy flour

4 tbsp water

1/2 c. oil

1 tsp salt

Dash lemon juice

In saucepan, boil flour & water. Rapidly stir in oil, salt, & lemon juice.

I wrote in this cookbook a good bit and I see that I added some finely minced celery and onion to this.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 10:23am
I've been having a lot of tuna salad and salmon salad. I had a coupon for the salmon in a pouch (Bumblebee?), and decided to try it. I added chopped onion, chopped celery, horseradish, relish, and lite mayo, and it was awesome! I like to eat my salad sandwiches open faced on either bread or flour tortillas. Sprinkle a little shredded cheese on top, and bake it. Yum!

Another of my favorites is veggie pizza. I get A LOT of use out of the flour tortillas. They are inexpensive, last a long time, and go far. So what I do is slice up tons of red onions, baby bella mushrooms, zucchini, tomato, artichokes (canned), pepper, and anything else I have on hand (clean up the fridge with this one!) and sprinkle a little shredded cheese on top of the veggies piled high on a tortilla. Sprinkle oregano on top and bake. It's awesome.

~ Kim

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 3:48pm
There's nothing like a fried bologna sandwich.

You know what? My mom used to make bologna gravy

and penny weiney gravy when I was a young girl.

Brenda

Parties & Entertaining Frugal Living Apriil Commmunity Leader of the
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 11:13pm
I add hard cooked egg to my tuna salad to tone down the tuna taste and stretch it.

Another strange favorite of mine is hardcooked eggs cooked again in spaghetti sauce. Take the eggs out of the sauce after about an hour, wash off the sauce, chop and add mayo. Very different!

Ivy