Best and worst holiday gift from an official inlaw?

iVillage Member
Best and worst holiday gift from an official inlaw?
Wed, 12-08-2010 - 7:09pm

Best - MIL gave me diamond earrings (small but still diamonds!)

Pages

iVillage Member

Best, gift certificate from SIL for mani/pedi.

iVillage Member

~~Sam stitches well with others, runs with scissors in her pocket. Cheerful and stupid.
iVillage Member

Best: This sounds ridiculous but honestly, a fantastic vegetable peeler. I asked for one as a stocking stuffer. I've gotten other decent, larger gifts from them but this is one that I use almost every day.

Worst: Well, every year my IL's gather up free junk from fairs and what not, like free pens, tooth brushes, plastic pill cases etc. Then they divide them between their three kid's families and present them to us as actual gifts. 90% of it is stuff we have no need for and it ends up in the trash or being recycled. Although the light up dolphin glitter snow ball that spun and played Beethoven was just.....charming.

iVillage Member

The best - When my MIL gave me a cookbook with her family's recepies that she'd made for me.

Worst -

iVillage Member
My MIL is famous for giving away chipped and broken items as gifts...LOL She always says "Well I know it's broken but it was on sale for so little I couldn't resist!"....it's was on sale because it's broken...LOL With all of her issues and problems, I will say that my MIL's heart is in the right place when it comes to gift giving. :)

Jets Siggy

iVillage Member

In the case of the poinsettia Christmas mugs, she got them at an estate sale. LOL.

iVillage Member
Best: My FIL was a woodcarver, did NW Indian masks, totem poles, bowls, etc. One year hubby and I visited the Smithsonian, and I sent him a photo album full of photos of NW Indian carvings from the collection at the Smithsonian. That year for Christmas, he gave me (not hubby...but ME) a replica of the beautiful Haida raven bowl I fell in love with at the Smithsonian. It's STILL one of my favorite all-time gifts!

Then, of course, there have been paintings for 3 years now from my brother's wife who is an artist. She did a tiny one last year with a tiny little easel, a not-too-big one that I have in my craft room...truly inspirational, and this year a beautiful sea scape that looks wonderful on my fireplace!!! She's thoughtful enough not to make something truly BIG knowing I don't have much wall space left for hanging them and would DIE if I couldn't hang what she's painted just for me!

WORST: My husband likes to look at pigs at the fair...thinks they're so cute! SO, MIL decided we "needed" a collection of hand-made pigs. She went to the Senior Center for several years in a row and made hubby over-sized ceramic pig figurines...painted them her non-artistic self. UGH! Somehow, just after Christmas each year, those ceramic pigs ended up in the garbage can and surprisingly a brick fell on them and broke them into tiny little pieces...honestly!
iVillage Member
I had to share a story of the worst Christmas gift my daughter ever received. She married too young and too quickly to a guy who ended up being a cocaine addict. He became abusive over the 2 1/2 years they were married. She and he had moved in with his family who were going to "help straighten him out" by offering them "a loving home" to live in...with them. SO....Christmas Day, their whole family gathered for dinner together. MIL was a knitter and had hand-knit beautiful sweaters for every member of the family...their 6 kids, their kids-in-law and their grandchildren. She handed them out one family at a time and made a big production out of opening these beautiful sweaters. Daughter and her husband were the last ones to receive their gift. Upon opening it, they discovered a 10 pound brick of cream cheese. Neither daughter nor her then-husband even liked cream cheese! She had been trying so hard to make her marriage work and be a good DIL and was thrilled to be included in their Christmas family gathering...UNTIL the cheese! Then, she had to keep herself from breaking into tears because obviously there was meant to be some message with that gift. (Thankfully she divorced him that next summer and has a GREAT husband now.) BUT, every once in a while, she wonders at WHY cream cheese? LOL
iVillage Member
ROFLMAO!! I would of loved a 10 lb brick of cream cheese, I would of gone on a cheesecake baking marathon
it takes 4lbs of c.c for each cake. I read your story to my sister & she started LOL & said at least you would of known what to do with it.
~~Sam stitches well with others, runs with scissors in her pocket. Cheerful and stupid.
iVillage Member

Let 'em eat cheesecake, huh?

Pages