Early solids?

iVillage Member
Early solids?
Sat, 01-15-2011 - 10:34am

A new study done in London shows that babies may not need to be fed only

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-15-2011 - 3:09pm
I waited till about six months with both kids. My second seemed more ready for solid and is on finger foods at around seven months. Course the floor gets fed a lot too.

Powered by
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-15-2011 - 3:34pm

*Feeding* solids? 6 months or later.

Giving baby a well-chewed (little) bite of what Mommy and Daddy are eating? Why not 4 months?

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-15-2011 - 6:02pm
I also am still wondering about teeth, and in particular gums. My friend wonders if her daughter have chewed so long with her gums (reflux, started solids at 3 months) might have made her teeth harder to come in. I also did not want to have to extract any morsel that might have gotten stuck. I have to say I was always really careful that she did not choke on anything that was not easy to chew to mush. Mostly because I do not have baby CPR. However, I still do not understand this need to feed anything but formula or breastmilk for half a year. I was not looking for additional costs or anything...:P

Lilypie

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-15-2011 - 6:03pm

My first wasn't interested in solids until she was 9 months old. We tried her at 6 months, but she just kept spitting it all out at us. We got tired of being covered with mashed avocado and gave up until she asked for our food. Then we couldn't stop her- LOL!

#2 was very interested from about 5 months on, but we delayed until she was 6 months, based upon the current recommendations. We've not seen any sign of food allergies yet in either child. Hopefully we're good!

--Wendy
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-15-2011 - 10:52pm
I waited until 6 months with my DS and will likely do the same with any future children unless new studies come out that back up this study better. As of now this study is not solid enough to follow the advice. Even the study authors admit that the results being strictly observation, the study could be flawed and as such are not recommending that guidelines be change just yet. What they suggest is the issue should studied more closely to see if the guidelines should be changed or not.

It really bothers me how all sorts of media sights are either portraying this study as more conclusive then it is or suggesting that it recommends stopping BF'ing a 6 months and switching to formula. It does neither, as it is solely about how long to exclusively BF before introducing solids. Apparently many mothers are angry and the supposed changing guidelines but I think their anger should be directed towards the media which is misreporting this study as a recommendation for the guidelines to be change or in some cases making it seem as if the study claimed that waiting until 6 months to introduce solids harms all babies.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-16-2011 - 4:10am

Here's UNICEF's response. I think it is important to note that 3 of the authors have declared links to the baby feeding industry.