Debate - What are the risks of FFing?

Community Leader
Debate - What are the risks of FFing?
Mon, 01-31-2011 - 3:58pm

Not the health risks this time - but what about...

- manufacturing risks?

- contamination risks?

- expired product risks?

- improper preparation risks?

- water contamination risks?

- lack of availability, shortages risks?

- improper feeding method risks?

I realize that most FFing parents consider themselves very careful, but how vigilent is the average FFing parent to these risks?

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-07-2011 - 7:22pm
If I recall correctly, just last year there was a HUGE recall of infant formula, was there not? That right there would tell me that a lot of the formula manufacturers are not as careful as THEY need to be. I think I recall something about insect parts being in the formula and causing babies to become ill.

Tessa
Single Mom of 6 beautiful children and 3 angels........
CL to Single Moms, January 2010 Winter Wonders, and 2010 Playgroup Friends
Community Leader
Mon, 02-07-2011 - 10:24pm

welcome

Welcome to the debate board Tessa! It's wonderful to see you posting here and I hope that you will stick around and post more often.

Yes, that was one of the things i was thinking about when I wrote that post.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-07-2011 - 11:55pm
Thanks! I will try!

Tessa
Single Mom of 6 beautiful children and 3 angels........
CL to Single Moms, January 2010 Winter Wonders, and 2010 Playgroup Friends
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-08-2011 - 9:49am

I think with recent recalls (especially the recent Similac recall), contamination risk is at the forefront of people's minds more than it has been historically.

2010 Siggy
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-08-2011 - 2:13pm
Once you have assumed other risks, this is just a few more. At any rate, I had to use formula so I had to assume that like other foods that I have not prepared from scratch or even foods grown, there is a level of risk you take unless you plan to grow all your own foods or make your own formula from scratch which I was not about to do. You have to midigate the risks you can however, in life there will be areas where you have to trust somewhat those things you cannot control.

Lilypie